Cube-30 review by Roland

Roland: Cube-30

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

I play only through the Metal Stack and R-Fier Stack. The Cube screams for metal. My guitar teacher (I take my Cube for lessons) has said that he notices a noise gate in the amp, so there must be one. I play this amp with a Jackson DKMGT with 2 EMG-HZs. Pinch harmonics squeal, literally. The distortion is very powerful on the R-Fier stack, and very crunchy, and sounds very modern, and I love that tone. On the Metal stack, you have the classic Metallica style '80s metal tone, with less distortion, but it's still high-gain. It sounds as if it has scooped mids, but that's probably from my EQ settings.

I play thrash metal. The Cube is the SS amp for my price range. I've been playing for 10 1/2 months, and it'll be a year on March 20th. I own a Jackson DKMGT, a Squier Affinity Strat (2005, stock everything), both which have been played through my Cube. If this was stolen, I would probably save up a bit more and buy my Cube's bigger brother, the Cube 60. Not only because of more wattage, but because of 2 new features. It would also be good for gigging as well.

I haven't gigged with this amp, for I'm not in a band. It has never broken down, nor has the tone changed suddenly. I've owned this amp for about 5 months, and it's still holding up, unlike my previous Frontman 15G. So, I can't really say anything about it, so I'll put a 5 for neutrality.

I play only metal, so I don't know how the Cube will sound on other styles. I use my Cube for bedroom practice. 2 channels - 1 for clean, 1 for lead. There is a headphone jack, and an AUX in jack. 3 band EQ.