Cube-30 review by Roland

Roland: Cube-30

Purchased from: Italmelodie

I play a Jay Turser Strat replica with the EQ as such; Bass; 20/20, Middle; 15/20, Treble; 10/20. I play alot of Green Day so it was important for me to have a really fat, yet punchy sound, and although my single-coil pickups might have helped, in the "Classic Stack" mode, with the gain on fully and my guitar on 1/2 volume, this amp sounds just like a Marshall 1959SLP Plexi. It's amazing how well the COSM modeling works. If you play in acoustic mode though, on high volume you will hear quite a bit of minute distortion, although my gain knob on full must have attributed to it. I have single-coil pickups, so I can't juge wheather this amp is noisy or not because they tend to hum a little on their own. But I really, really like the different personnalities that each amp has thanks to the COSM, lets say you were playing rythm guitar throughout a song and feel like playing a really "gritty", yet warm solo. You'd just have to turn the amp knob over once or twice and there you go, it's amazing. I'm not too sure about the noise-gating though, It's probably because I play at around 1/2 volume, the "Sweet-Spot" of my guitar. One thing though; this amp can get very loud very fast, specially when switching to "British Combo" (Vox AC-30TB). So watch out.

This amp can make my guitar sound like Billie Joe Armstrong's 1956 Les Paul Jr., like Lenny Kravitz' 1959 Flying-V and like Slash's Signature Les Paul, all rolled in to one, so I'd have to say this is a great amp, the different modeled amps are a great idea. I don't think I could have gotten a better deal for the price I paid. It sounds like a dream, and it works like one too, so if your thinking of getting this amp, do so. You won't regret it.

This is a sturdy amp, I've had the misfortune of dropping it a couple times and it doesn't sound any differently. It can get hard to clean in the little nooks and cracks, but it isn't that important. If there's one thing I noticed about this amp, its that although this is a solid-state amp it can still get hot after a just a little while. I keep my amp in my room next to the window, which just happens to be over the radiator, so if your going to play in this situation at least open the window, to keep it from getting too hot. I have yet to gig with it, but since it's been dropped a couple of times I wouldn't worry about it when gigging.

This amp holds up its end to just about anything you could play. I could be playing some Green Day and just turn the amp knob and all of a sudden sound like Lenny Kravitz, or Jimi Hendrix, or even Slash. I think the versatility of this amp is probably the biggest strong point it has to offer, the intergrated effects just make it even better. I have to agree that the only feature that this amp unfortunitely lacks is the foot-switch. Because of the different styles I play, a foot-switch could have helped a lot. But I must say, the options make for a nice package.

Robilious
    Foot switch is available, stereo plug, connects 2 foot switches. 1 controls switching between JC120 (clean) the other will turn effects on/off. I suggest you read the manual.
    Robilious
    When playing in acoustic mode, use the gain as a "string dynamic" type adjustment. You'll get much more volume out of it in the acoustic mode in this manner.
    Robilious
    Sorry, tried to post above comments in the appropriate review. System apparently does not allow for this.