Cube-30 review by Roland

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Roland: Cube-30

Purchased from: Music Pro

I play a Gibson Les Paul Studio through this amp. Like I said before, it suits the styles I play. It can make a lot feedback at higher volumes with lots of distortion, but that is true to most amps. You can get basicly any sound you want out of it, but just don't expect it to sound like you have a rig built for that style of playing. The clean channel is actually pretty good when you fiddle with the EQ, and breaks up only a little bit at high volumes. I usually run it on bass: 10 o'clock, middle: 5 o'clock, treble: 12 o'clock and it sounds pretty good. You can get some pretty mean distortion out of it, but not as much as most metal fans would like though. To me, a blues guitarist mainly, that's a lot of distortion.

This amp is a pretty good catch for it's price tag and can get you basicly any tone you'd like. I've been playing for two and a half years and only own a couple of pedals, but I have played around on plenty of amps at music stores and friends houses (ones better and worse than my Cube 30). If it was stolen or lost, I wouldn't replace it. I'd just have to get more money quickly so I can buy the Fender amp I want. I have a soft spot for it, because it was my first amp, but I really dislike how it gets so touchy at high volumes. My favorite feature is the black panel amp model, you get a nice crunchy overdrive tone from that one. I chose this amp, because I was younger and new to guitar and I really liked all the crazy effects you could get, and didn't do much comparing to later on when I knew more. For $500 or so Canadian, it was a pretty good deal though.

I have never gigged, and I don't think I would want to with this amp. When I run it at high volumes, no matter how much I mute the strings, a little bit of feedback really wants to squeeze through. This amp has never broken down on me, but it is a bit woren from playing it a bit too loud. It's really not an amp for gigging and I know that, I am in the market for a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe soon I believe, and than I can gig.

This amp is 30 solid state watts and was made in 2004, and is pretty versatile. I play blues, rock, and some harder rock, and it gets a good sound for all of them. You can get heavier tones out of it as well, but your favorite distortion pedal might help you out more than the built in models. There are two channels, clean and dirty, both run on the same EQ though. You can get chorus, flanger, phaser, tremolo, delay, and reverb, along with overdrive and distortion through the dirty channel. It also has a head phone jack, but I have never used it. I never really use the built in effects, other than the reverb. The others are okay, just they don't suit my style very well. I can't say I wish it had any other features, it even has an acoustic simulator (which is a very quiet and not the best sounding). I use this amp to practice in my basement and with my band right now. It is plenty loud for practice, but when the drummer gets banging and the bass is booming, sometimes I can't cut as much as I'd like to.