Cube-30 review by Roland

Roland: Cube-30

Purchased from: Singapore

I used it with my Fender Strat, and my Fender Jaguar. I play quite a variety of music, primarily hard rock, with rock, alternative rock and heavy metal thrown in a well. I have to say it's the most versatile amp I've ever tried, since it's a modelling amp. It is not very noisy, though there is noise with my Jaguar. The rectifier stack mode has a built-in noise gate, if you like stuff like that. Since it's a modelling amp, the clean dosen't distort at loud volumes. The distortion can go up to very brutal rectifier sounds. Though the sound cannot beat my tube amp, it's a pretty decent amp for what it can do. It's versatility can be seen as it's stronest point. My favourite modes are the brit combo (Vox AC30) and the classic stack (Marshall JMP1987). I also like the tweed (Fender Bassman). The acosutic's pretty lousy to be honest. It dosen't sound like an acoustic guitar at all, but more of a noisy thin-sounding clean. The black panel (Fender Twin Reverb) is not too shabby. My ideal is to have the black panel as the clean, actually. That would make an awesome combination. The metal stack (Peavey 5150) is not too shabby. I can get my heavy metal sounds out of it. I don't really like the r-fier (Mesa/Boogie Rectifier) as it sounds too gainey and crappy tbh. The Cube may not create sounds like a tube amp, but it definitely has it's good points. I've compared it with other modelling amps, which include a Vox Valvetronix and a Line 6 Spider II. This amp is very comparable with the Valvetronix. Although the tones of the Valvetronix is slightly nicer sounding than the Cube-30, the Valvetronix is only for players who want to specialise their music (etc for players Who play only blues). For players who still are experimenting with genres, the Cube is your choice. It is a lot more versatile than the Valvetronix. I believe I don't have to talk about the Spider. The Cube is better sounding than the Spider in almost every way.

This is my first amp, and I'm glad that it was. I don't have the same experience as other guitarists Who bought Marshall MGs or Spiders and regretted it later on. It is an awesome first amp. However, if it were lost, I don't think I would get it again. I'd save up for a Vox AC30, perhaps. My favourite part is the brit combo and classic stack modes. Though they aren't as good sounding as the real deal, it's a nice and affordable amp, for guitarists to emulate the sound of the real deal, and probrably in a couple years time, decide what type of amps would be suitable for them.

I can definitely rely on this amp. I've been using it for about 3 and a half years, and so far no problems at all. There's no need for servicing, as it has no tubes. It's pretty sturdy, as I've dropped it (accidentally of course) on a number of occassions. I would use it on a gig, but I already have my Laney!

A 30 watt amp with a 10 inch speaker. It was made in 2003 or 2004, not very sure myself. It's pretty small and light. My 15 watt Laney LC15R is a lot heavier and it is larger. This amp features 8 COSM modelling amp types. One channel for JC Clean, and the other channel for Acoustic, Black panel, British combo, Tweed, Classic stack, Metal stack and Rectifier stack. The channels are can be switched with the button or via a separate footswitch. I used the Boss latching footswitch. It is very versatile, and it fits almost ANY style of music. This is my first amp and I use it less than before. This amp also has modulation effects, like chorus, flanger, phaser tremelo, delay and reverb, but I don't really like to use modulations, except reverb, and the occasional delay. The thing I don't like about the reverb/delay is that you can't use both at the same time, as the reverb and delay is on the same knob. Same with the chorus/flanger/phaser/tremelo. Google "Roland Cube-30" and you'd be able to see. Now I use it for my vocal amp in my band's practice space. For late night practice, there is always a phone jack, which I don't use much. However, the manual says that the COSM modelling sounds better with headphone jack.

lokster
    Pretty good amp, but as far as volume goes you need to turn it pretty high in order to get sound out of it. Resulting in having to lower the volume via your guitar.