Cube-30X review by Roland

Roland: Cube-30X

Purchased from: Sam Ash

I'm using it with my Ibanez JTK2. Since it's a modeling amp it doesnt't require a pedalboard to achive it's sound it probably has reduced quality. But hey, whoever said a novice deserved above an overdive Switch and gain control? So this amp is a blessing. Anyway, it suits the blues and rock styles perfectly and the versatility is only heightened by the REverb/delay and chorus effects. The thing it has going for it, is it's loudness. 30 watts of power, it can probably be loud enough for an auditorium, if not you could use the direct recording out-put to jack into the P.A and get some solid sound out of that. The clean channel at high sounds? No. Since it's not a tube amp it doesnt't do that, and if it does not as well. The distortion can either boost the sound of the guitar or make it sound like the tone knob is on 0.

I play blues and rock. This amp is more suited towards your versatile guitar player, or a metal head. Specificaly since it has a metal setting. It suits me becuase I'm not stuck in just a plain volume, gain Switch configuration and I like having a wide array of sounds to play with. I've only been playing for roughly, half a year. I own an Ibanez Jtk2 and a Yamaha acoustic. Honestly, at first I was more concerned about my guitar and I didn't know what amp to buy. Then I read about the cube on Ultimate Guitar, and remembered my friends Roland Mini Cube. So I trusted the brand, and I was not dissapointed by this product. I would probably get the mini cube if it were stolen, since that one is more portable. What I love: It's affordable-ness for max versatility, and all it's grand features. I don't think there's anything I don't like about it. I compared it to the Marshall MG series and this won, compared it to the Line 6 Spider amps and this won, It beat the mg becuase it's got more functions and I've read about the Mg's speaker faults. And it beat the spider amps becuase even though they are both modeling amps, the spider cuts out expression, the cube doesn't. I would actualy perfer this one to the Cube 60 becuase the 60 doesn't really put much more into it besides an additional 30 watts. Although I wish I had a tube becuase apparently, effects don't do too well on modeling amps.

I have only had it for so long, so I can't say. I'm sure the speaker will go bad in a number of years but will probably be replaced easily. Since It's solid state I doubt it would go bad as fast as a tube amp. I'm giving it a six due to my lack of knowledge in this department.

I think it was made in 2007, and since it's a solid state modeling amp it suits all my needs perfectly. If I need that bluesy tone, I've got the tweed and black pannel. If I need crunch I've got metal a r-fier. If I need that distorted classic rock tone, I've got the british combo and the classic rock setting. It features lead and clean channels, but it features an "acoustic simulator" making the volume so low, you have to put your face to the amp to hear it, so utterly useles basic chorus/flanger/tremolo and delay/reverb effects. It also has a tuner, which I thought was going to be useless orginaly but it turns out it was really useful. It also has an equalizer and a power squeezer that reduces the watt usage to 2 watts and only slightly muffles the volume. I use that feature at night just becuase I don't need 30 watts on the setting of one. All in all, it does it's job, as a practice amp.

Rattlehead2661
    Hey, I got a question. I currently have a Spider III 30 combo at the moment and I was wondering if a Cube 30X would've been a better choice of amp. I've played a 30X in a local music shop and was greatly impressed with the clean and metal sounds I can get out of it, but would it be better than a Spider overall?
    barcelona_rov
    i want to buy this amp, but is it good for playing something like metalllica, avenged sevenfold, iron maiden, that kind of stuff?