Cube-30X review by Roland

Roland: Cube-30X

Purchased from: GAK

I'm using a Jackson RR3 and an Epiphone Les Paul Custom through this amp, and I mainly use the metal and Dual Rectifier settings to get the gain that I need. The metal setting is not as bright as the rfier settings, but it does a good job for playing rhythm. Rfier is the best setting for me by far, and gives me more than enough gain to play around with. I do use the other settings occasionally, I quite like using black panel when playing cleaner songs. The Brit combo and Tweed would be alright for Indie music but as it's not my preffered style of music I don't use them often. I use the Classic stack whenever I'm playing rock. The acoustic setting does an alright job whenever I've used it. The FX are quite good, I use reverb the most, the delay is a little quiet to be honest. The other 4 effects on the other hand are set to be very noticable, which is where it's problem lies. If the FX had level controls the amp would be much more helpful, I'd like to be able to set the effects so that they were quieter.

For a bedroom player this amp gives almost everything you need, and for it price it's great. I used to use a Crate GT15R, which sounds terrible compared to this, so I'm glad to have this new amp. If it was stolen or lost I would buy it again for sure. The gain is great and gives me the sound that I need for death metal. If it had better controls for the effects it would be an improvement but as I don't use the effects much it's not a major problem for me.

I've had this amp for acouple of months now, and it's working fine, I've had no problems with it at all. It's perhaps not quite loud enough to use at a gig, but it works well when jamming, it blows my fiends 30watt Line 6 out of the water. The amp is built like a tank so I have no worries about it's durability.

This is a 30W SS amp, which models various amps, and does it very effectively. This amp can give pretty much any sound that I want, I play mainly death metal and most of the subgenres that are in it, along with some rock everynow and again. The amp has 2 channels, clean and lead and lead has 8 different settings, ranging from acoustic, black panel, brit combo, tweed, stack combo, metal, r-fier and dyna amp. There are 6 effects, chorus, flanger, phaser, tremolo, delay and reverb. The FX could have been fiven more control, you can't alter the level of the FX so you can't subtly add it into your sound.There is a tuner built in as well as a power squeezer to use at low levels. I don't really use the power squeezer, it sounds ok but you can get away with bedroom volumes quite easily with the amp on normal.

kt_guitarist
    kt_guitarist
    sorry for the double post, but i must add that the line 6 spider series are a bit harder to handle in means of tone but spending a afternoon turning the knobs pay's off, it really does.
    FenderMaster
    Have an older model, the cube 15 Its very loud, has a great clean channel, and the metal stack is perfect for Thrash Metal/Punk Its not the best for blues, funk and jazz though... perfect for Pink Floyd or Metallica
    salsawords
    kt_guitarist wrote: cant get you all, I absolutely HATE the sound of this thing and I recommend all of you not, yes NOT to buy it. let me explain why. At first in clean mode you cant get a beautifull bright yet deep sound. It sounds flat and pale to me. Second for all the amp models on it you only have the rectifier sounding a bit nice the rest is crap. And for my last point, the effects are worthless and almost inadjustable making it worthless for a creative player. i'dd recommend to buy a Line 6 spider III instead. However that also not is the best amp but in this league it way better it just packs all the features the cube lacks.
    I have this amp, and some of what you said is true. There isn't much variety in tone for metal, pretty much only rectifier like you said. It's also true that the effects aren't very nice, but who looks for effects in an amp? The cleans on the lead channel aren't bad though, I'm sure they're probably better than a spider III.
    d3monban3
    ok, qtf. sorry bout the first post, and this double. what i meant to say is that i do a lot of metal / rock guitar playing, does this amp give me enough distortion to achieve the "chug chug" effect like most metal bands. or do i go with the line 6.