Cube-30X review by Roland

Roland: Cube-30X

Purchased from: Ebay

This amp produces a fantastic sound. I use this with a Gibson Les Paul Studio and a Squier Telecaster with Seymour Duncan 59 pick ups. Like I said, the amp produces quality sound for a high range of genres from family friendly to metal. The various amp models can mimic the sounds of amps from a clean sound to a high gain metal sound and anything in between. Various effects can be added. The gain can be adjusted. Add a little reverb. One remarkable feature is how quiet the amp is. Even situated next to a television the amp is completely silent. No hum. I never dreamed that an amp could be so quiet. Another remarkable feature is the Power Squeezer. This allows the amp to be played at a much lower volume yet not compromise the quality of the sound. The acoustic simulator amp model doesn't exactly replicate the sound of an acoustic guitar. I doubt anyone expected it to. It's more or less just another clean channel as far as I'm concerned. But it can be used to strum along to some praise choruses or to my favorite family friendly songs. I use the Black Panel amp model with some distortion and a touch of reverb to get a sound similar to Albert King or Otis Rush. The Classic amp model can get an AC/DC sound. But what I like most is that I can explore the various amp models and degrees of delay or reverb and gain to get my own sound.

Overall this is a fine amp for home use. When I was shopping I looked at various amps including the Peavey Vypyr, a couple of Behringer amps, Raven, the Fender G-DEC, Kustom HV-30, Vox Valvetronix and some others. My original intent was to get a Cube 20X to hold me over until Peavey solved the quality control problems with the Vypyr and then storm a guitar store like a Walmart shopper on black Friday to get a Vypyr. But I don't see that happening. I got a good deal on this Cube 30X and footswitch, and the amp is just amazing. I'll never get anything else for home practice use. I love the Power Squeezer feature. I don't think I could Live without it now. Also the headphone jack for playing extremely in the morning. I have a light sleeper in my house. I do wish however that the amp had more effects and that the effects could be adjusted a little more. I'd love to be able to play with a whole lot of gadgets different types of reverb, a looper function, a wah effect, etc. That would be fun. But truth be told that doesn't really bother me. I think I'm better off with a serious amp to be used for practice rather than a toy. I also wish it could make me a better player if that's not too much to ask.

This is why I bought this amp. When I was looking for a home practice amp, I surfed the net. I read comments from users on various forums. Some amps received grand praise for their sound and had more effects like Wah, looper and more ways to control the effects. But there were other comments about hum, squeals and screeches and amp failure. Four months of research on the internet, and I did not find one comment about a Roland Cube that didn't operate as expected. This amp was delivered to my house. It spent half the day on the doorstep in 10 degree temperature. It was cold that day. I wanted to wait for the amp to warm up, but I had to at least try it out. It worked flawlessly even while frozen. The structure is solid. It's not going to break down.

This is a solid state modeling amp. It is intended to have a solid state price yet mimic the sounds from much higher priced tube amplifiers. The amp comes with various effects and various amp models to enable the guitarist to mimic sounds from various genres of music. I play various styles from family friendly and praise music to classic rock and blues. I don't play metal. This amp more than adequately produces the sounds for all these genres including metal. The amp has two channels. The clean channel is intended to mimic the Roland JC-120 Jazz Chorus amplifier. I've gotta say that it is a fantastic clean sound. The other channel is the lead channel, and that provides a selection of 8 different amp models going from an amp model that simulates the sound of an acoustic guitar to various amp models that offer varying degrees of gain. Amp models include the Black Panel (Fender Twin Reverb), the Brit Combo (Vox AC-30TB), the Tweed (Fender Bassman), Classic Stack (Marshall JMP1987), Metal Stack (Peavey 5150) and the high gain Mesa/Boogie Rectifier. The last amp model is the Dyna Amp which is supposed to provide a low gain sound if strummed lightly and a high gain sound if picked hard. This Dyna Amp isn't really much of a big deal as far as I'm concerned. The amp also has effects including delay, reverb, chorus, flanger, phaser and tremolo. I often use the delay and reverb. The other effects are cool, but I'm not an effects kind of gal so they don't thrill me. Also there is limited control over the effects. One can increase the speed of the flanger but not the depth. Same with the phaser and tremolo, only the speed can be increased or decreased, not the depth. One of the features that I find very useful is the Power Squeezer. With the push of a button, the amp goes from a 30 watt to a 2 watt amp thereby permitting playing at a much lower volume. I could not go without this feature in my house. Without it I'd have to get a tiny amp with tiny speaker and tiny sound. The Power Squeezer permits the big sound of a big amp but at lower volume. The amp also has an equalizer with bass, mid and treble. Also a tuner. There is an optional footswitch which I have. The footswitch isn't all that. It only does two things: you can turn the effects on or off. And you can switch amp channels from the clean channel to the lead channel or vice versa. I got this amp used on Ebay so I don't know exactly what year it was made. Roland has only been making the Cube X series for a few years so the amp couldn't have been made before 2006.

cranium2001
    I'm not trying to downplay this amp but I traded it in on a Vox AD30VT. After playing the Vox a little more it seemed more versatile to me. I still like the Cube but I like the Vox a little more.