Cube-30X review by Roland

• Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Roland: Cube-30X

Purchased from: Furtados

As I've already said above, I use it with my Yamaha Pacifica with an HSS pickup configuration. It's a beginner guitar but believe me, its better than most other guitars in this segment. Restringing is the easy as the tremolo system is not double locking. I've been playing my Acoustic guitar before that. I play various styles from bollywood music to rock n roll & this amp suits it. The problem that I found with most amps in the beginner segment was noise when the distortion is increased. Especially when you r using single coil pickups.This amp is no exception. All other effects r ok as you can't expect decent effect quality from a solid state, and that too a $300 amp here in India, where such items r costly due to heavy taxation system of the government. But I didn't like the distortion. I got used with it, but I know it's no good. Even if you compare the distortion of a beginner tube amp with it (I've done so) u'll know what I mean. Also note that no matter what adapter you use for power supply, remember that such equipments have been designed to work with lower power. In countries like mine where we have higher power supply in terms of both wattage & voltage, there will be comparatively more noise when using such equipment. Better amps r designed to solve this problem. The clean channel is the best for all the amps in this price range and its crisp even at high volumes. W.R.T. Distortion, though I may also add that the distortion sounds digital & far away from the ones we hear in our favourite artists' recordings. Its also difficult to control as you change the amp models. The "rectifier" amp model is known to be the best for distortions, but just see how much extra noise is also created when using it.

I play music from various genres and this seems to be a good match for me for the time being. I'm eagerly waiting for a day when I can afford a tube amp & effect units so that I may keep this amp for backup only. I wouldn't throw it away because this amp taught me many things & let me learn me many things about music. I also own a generic Acoustic guitar which I use when the power supply has been cut in my house. I wish I had known that I can't use more than 2 effects at once on this amp & also that its footswitch has the problems listed above. I would have gone for Laney LX series solid state amp, but Laney Prism series amp instead was available that time & its reviews were not that good. I live far off from places where I can buy gear so the only option available to me was Peavey vyper series amp which I didn't find it that easy to use & durable. My favourite feature is of course the clean channel. It's nice for a solid state amp. No, I wouldn't buy it again if it were stolen/lost. I would continue with my Acoustic guitar for the time being, save some money & buy a Laney LX series solid state amp with separate effect units or if I could save more money, tube amps instead. However, I don't think that it's practically possible for me even to upgrade my electric guitar due to financial issues. I hate its distortion which sounds fake as the gain is increased.I advice beginners to get idea and learn about music using solid state amps, save enough money and then to move on to a tube amp. No matter how good today's electronics progresses, you simply can't compare a tube amp with a solid state amp.

I have been using this amp while gigging & I'm ok with it, because I can't afford a backup. Also it's that I do live gigs rarely. Mostly I record it & send to my listeners via e-mail. As far as its construction quality is concerned, its better than peavey's modelling amps. The overall build quality is better and also r the switches. One of my friends had a Peavey Vyper amp whose switches r comparatively delicate and also it has some sort of lighting system for indication of various parametres (too many LEDs) that I found nothing else but fancy. Only I found my amp's amp model selection Switch a bit too delicate, but it's not that bad. I've been using this amp for around 6 months & I have been moving it almost every day to different floors of my house where I can practice so as not to disturb my other family members. It has been banged against walls, doors, stairs, etc. But not very heavily and I'm happy to say that it has sustained everything.

This amp was made in 2010. I play various genres of music. Mostly I don't play other artists' songs.But I play my own songs. When I play other artists' songs they vary between songs in "My Mother Tongue" Marathi to Metallica (rock). It's a pretty versatile amp. I've got a Yamaha Pacifica electric guitar with an HSS pickup configuration. So my setup is basic and cheapish(I'm not one of those rich kids who can afford an Gibson or a Mesa Boogie). The amp has 2 channels. I found the clean channel the best. It has been derived from the jazz chorus Roland amp. The other channel on which you can use the different amp models is less loud in terms of volume than the clean channel. The amp doesn't have any effect loops, but a headphone jack is included. U can Switch the channel using the optional Boss Roland footswitches. If you use one of their types of footswitch, you can just change the channels. If you use their other type footswitch, you can change the channels & also control the effects. The problem for those who r willing to use this amp for recording or performing live is that an footswitch becomes necessary for them and both types of their footswitches run on batteries. If you live in a big city, you can easily get rechargable batteries or replace them. If you live in far off areas like mine, it's difficult. Also if you use the amp for a significant amount of time every day, u'll drain the batteries easily. I'm not one of those who can be patient with this, so I've decided to buy separate effect units running on normal power supply to work with the amp. I've started saving money for the same. U can use only two effects simulaneously. There is one knob to control flanger/phaser/chorus/tremolo while other knob controls delay/reverb. It's pretty much enough for practicing, but not for gigging. It also has a 3-band EQ. A gain Switch for the second channel and an in-built tuner are also present. There's also a power squeezer which makes your amp sound quiet as it reduces the wattage. I've never used this feature. I use this amp for mainly for practicing and sometimes while gigging. Its a solid state 30 watts combo amp. I think it has enough power for me.

Supercolio
    I've had this for about two years, and it's an awesome amp. And loud. I've played in a gym hall for a couple of times for about 200-500-1000 people and it sometimes is too loud... Well, awesome is awesome.
    sololz
    I've sold this amp after week of playing on it, clean totally sucks, distortion is extreme fail, metal zones don't even sound good.. Marshall MG 30 fits my style much more than this.. Peavey Vypyr 30 or Vox VT30 are also good and versatile. Only thing that i liked was acoustic sim.