Cube-30X review by Roland

Roland: Cube-30X

Purchased from: A friend

After using this amp for 6 months now I have realised that is more suits when playing of a song in the treble pickup. I found this out by play more bass orientated song and then treble orientated song on play Yamaha SG500B and when playing on treble pickup it gives more depth to the sound of the amp. The amp suits my play because it is so interchangeable with any style of music and I love playing different style. If you want it to be, the amp can be ear piercingly loud when on a setting for metal with lots of distortion. This means it can be hard to find the right volume that you desire. You name a sound the amp can make it, loud or quiet, clean or distortion, it is there. I would not recommend it to heavy metal players though because the distortion it too weak for a heavy Rocker to play.

Overall the Cube 30X is probably the best practice amp I own because without this amp I would say my playing would not be developed like it is today it has taught me what sound go with which song and my different guitar effects. I wish that I had asked what some good settings were for the effects on the amp to play bluesy song, ballads and all the different ranges the amp can reach. I would never want to get rid of this amp because I have saved a lot of my buy this rather than lots of effects pedals to make the sounds it makes. I love everything about this amp especially the fact that there are already 8 pre-set effects you can use such as acoustic to metal. The only minute feature that I would have added would have been to make it sit diagonally so it could be put to better effect if it were used in a performance.

The amp is very reliable, well for me at least although the sound quality is not the best at time it still carries on pull through to the end of the performance. I have used the amp in all but the first one of my exams and it has never broken down on me. Although this is a good amp I would not recommended buying the Roland Street Cube because it is battery power, unlike the 30X which is mains, it has failed before when my guitar tutor was using it so we had to use his acoustic guitars for the rest of the session. All of that being said the 30X, not the street cube, is 100% reliable and durable.

The Roland Cube 30X amp is the most versatile that I own, this is because of the many different effects I can adjust to suit my preference. For example I can switch from play "Fast Car" by Tracy Chapman to "Sweet Child O' Mine" by Guns N' Roses in a instant. The amp has a clean and lead channel depending on your style of playing. The clean channel can still have effects added to it so you can be very picky with your sound preferences. I would say that I would normally use this amp for mainly practicing at home or with a band although it does have enough power to be a performance amp as well. If you prefer a quieter sound amp you can use the power squeeze which turns down all of the volume for you. It also has a headphone jack, footswitch jack and a aux input jack.