Cube-40GX review by Roland

Roland: Cube-40GX

Purchased from: Unknown

This amplifier comes with a clean channel, lead channel, a solo channel (with an added memory feature), a delay knob, reverb knob, FX knob, and 3 equalizer knobs. There's also volume controls for the clean channel, and 10 different tones for the lead channel, along with a gain and volume knob for the lead too. Aside from that, there's a master volume setting and that's it. The effect knobs and lead channel make this amp incredibly diverse, and fit for plenty of different styles. It's pretty much guaranteed to suit your style since it's so diverse.

I play mostly hard rock and occasionally progressive rock, and surprisingly this suits both. The distortion and different tones fit my heavier stuff perfectly, and it has all the effects I need for softer, more progressive/psychedelic rock songs. It's not just diverse however, it also sounds great in any sound you can play it in. I've tried all of them, and I don't think any of them have a bad sound to them. It rarely gives feedback on the clean and lead channels, but it does on the solo channel almost all the time. There's a bunch of variety here, so it's suitable for countless genres.

The amp is pretty loud, even on the lower settings and seems to be perfectly capable for playing live. My only experience playing live was playing one song at a talent show, but I figure this would last a few more songs if I got the chance. I've only had the amp for a month, so I'm not sure how long it will last, but I'm pretty sure it will last me at least a few years. It seems quite reliable, so I'm not very worried about it breaking down, but I could be wrong about it. Doesn't seem to be having any problems, so I'm still not worried.

As I mentioned, I'm mostly a hard rock player, and the lead settings perfectly fit my genre. This is my second amplifier, my first being an Ibanez IBZ10G, and this is certainly a step up. The effects all sound amazing, and work perfectly together. If this got stolen from me, I would definitely buy another one, as it's certainly worth the money. The only real problem I have with it is the Solo Channel, which is way too noisy for my taste, but it could be decent live. This was a birthday present, and I'm certainly glad I got it.

RattnRolla
    Just got mine in the post yesterday. Seems to be going cheap and knowing Roland I presume this means the successor is on the way. Wanted this a while..no Presence though which was on its predecessor..which caught me by surprise. Quite happy. The inbuilt effects processors are second to none (if you aren't a total analogue junkie though) if you don't mind modern digital tech and the crunch factor is as before. The JC clean is also much as before. A line out would have been a handy thing to keep going and the novelty of the iPhone/ipad port is specific to age I might suggest. The kid isn't wrong. A nice modelling amp from the company that does it best (in my opinion..all my pedal gear is boss..so that qualifies that). There are better maps out there but the range of tone and the power of the cubes..make this a great practice amp...I guess it would mic up ok as well
    jovan.ignatich.
    This review was obviously written by a teenager who is just way too excited about their practice amp