Cube-60 review by Roland

Roland: Cube-60

I am using the amp with my Squire Strat. I play mainly rock - punk, classic, modern, indie, etc. It is very quiet, except from when the gain is cranked and I'm standing right near, but that might have something to do with me using single coils. I'm sure with humbuckers it's very quiet. because of the large range of amp models it would suit pretty much anyones style as there really is a lot of variety. The amp models can be very much tweaked by the EQ, and when you get the right setting, it can really roar. The clean is based on the Roland JC-120 Jazz Chorus and although I haven't tried this amp, it's a really good clean, doesn't sound false and digitised like some SS amps. The bright switch doesn't add a lot to the sound, but it does make the sound a little "brighter." It actually says in the manual, that when the volume is raised, it is supposed to give a "crunch." I haven't been able to raise the volume yet but I'm looking forward to seeing what it sounds like. Black panel (Fender Twin Reverb) - I haven't used this a lot, but it does pretty good. With the gain down, you get a mellow clean sound, start to push the gain and it gives it more of a punch. Brit combo (Vox AC-30TB) - even with low gain, you can get a nice kick out of this one. Can be used by a rhythm or lead guitarist, as you can get a lot of range from the gain and EQ controls. Tweed (Tweed Fender Bassman 4x10 combo) - you can get a nice twang out of this on single coils very nice sound all round. Again, starts to give an 'overdrive' impression as you raise the gain, and this setting does actually get quite gain and it can get a bit mushy with the gain all the way up. Classic stack (Marshall JMP1987) - starts to get a bit heavy here, as we move into stack territory. This catches the Marshall rock sound well. Get the EQ'ing to your perfect setting and this can really roar. However, like the tweed, can get a bit mushy with the gain is up. Ideal for classic rock. Metal stack (Peavey EVH-5150) - very heavy, bassy sound, perfect for chugging on the palm mutes. You can get a heavey, strong sound with this. It's pretty much gain-city where you have the knob, and you can get a really good 'scooped mids' sound with the middle down. R-Fier (Mesa/Boogie Rectifier) - one of my favourite models. Great for heavier modern/punk rock, you really can get a fantastic distortion with this, miles better than other SS I've tried. Overall, very good quality amp settings. I haven't had much experience with the Dyna-Amp, but the time I did spend with it, it was a good feature, a little hard to use, but with proper practise, could work well. The effects sound pretty good, but there's nothing much to tweak with them. As far as I can tell, turning the effect up a knotch simply makes it faster, not kncreasing the intensity. However, I didn't buy the amp for effects, as pedals can do this nicely.

Works well for pretty much any type of music from mellowed out cleans to roaring distortion. I've only had this amp a few months but I'm glad I choose it over the Vox, although I hear it's a good amp for cleaner sounds. If it was stolen, I would probably buy it again, although I would consider buying a tube amp. If you can't afford a tube amp and/or don't think you need one, the Cube 60 is the next best thing in my oppinion. My favourite features are the lead amp models, especailly the stacks. My least favourite feature is the inability to tweak the effects, however as I said before, seperate pedals can do the job fine.