Cube-60 review by Roland

Roland: Cube-60

Purchased from: local guitarshop

well the amp has two channels a jc clean channel, which gets you a nice clean sound(that mixed in with a bit of delay and chorus gives you a nice stairway to heaven style sound). Now the lead channel has eight diffrent little like sub channels. Acoustic, which is pretty self explaterory but is my least favourite amp setting as the bass makes the speaker rattle at low volumes. Black panel, this amp setting is based around the Fender Twin Reverb amplifier and has some nice low tones and sweet high tones as well. Brit combo, the sound you get from this amp setting is like a Vox ac-30, and gives you what can be described as a truly british sound and is nice with out much distortion but crank up the gain and " bobs your uncle". Tweed, I really like this setting it gives me a bluesy sound when I have the gain at about 3/4's and is a real favourite when ever I'm covering anything from a bitta hendrix to some classic AC/DC. Classic stack, this is like a Marshall jmp style and is perfect for heavy rock light rock rock blues anything really that is in the rock genre. Metal stack, as the name might suggest this is for the metal heads out there it's got sort of like a Peavey evh sound and gives a very nice high gain distorted sound that I find good for pinch harmonics which on my old amp I could never seem to get the sound out of. And I like the fact that even at low volumes you can still retain most of the tone you have when you crank the amp up. R-fier stack, this is simalier to the metal stack but less metal and more grunge hard rock. it is based I think on a mesa/boogie rectifier and is good for all sort of lead guitar playing. Dyna amp, I myself don't realy use this setting very much but it is still a nice feature. It doesnt't realy have a set sound, because when you play hard you get a distorted growl of a sound but when you play ever so gently you get a cleaner sound.

Well I mainly play rock and blues and this amp is perfect for that, but then again I'm confedent that if in a years time I change my style and want to play funk and reggae that it will be fine at getting greats sounds for that aswell. I've been playing electric guitar for a couple of years now and this is the first descent amp iv had and I don't see myself replacing this one for a long time. If this amp was stolen I would most probably buy one again as it's better than the other amps I tried out in it's price range like the: Marshall MG50 and 100 and the Line 6 Spider 75 watt, I even prefered it to the Marshall AVT50 as they all were more expensive and in my opinion didn't sound as nice and with the exeption of the Line 6 were nowhere near as versitile.

I haven't had this amp very long but in the time I've had it I can feel that this is an amp built to last, it has the speaker built in surounded by wood so no real worry of knocking your speaker around from the back and has a nice looking metal grill at the front which I realy like as most amps have a turdy bit of mesh. It's has plastic covering all the edges. I am very confedent that this amp will not let me down and am gigging it in a few months as it is easily loun enought for small to medium venues and with the speaker out at the back you can plug it into a speaker cabnit if you wanna play galstenbury aswell so no worries. The only thing that is a bit poor quility is the jack inputs which are all plasticy but still feel fairly strong.

The Roland Cube 60, I think it was made in 2004 but I could be wrong. It is a 60 watt solid state amp with a line out so you can connect it to an external speaker, wich is always a good thing. The amp has delay, reverb and four other build in cosm (composite object sound modeling) effects: chorus, flanger, phaser and tremolo which can all be changed via a footswitch, as can the channel.