Jazz Chorus 50 review by Roland

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Roland: Jazz Chorus 50

I use this with a 2001 Fender standard stratocaster, a Boss OS-2 and an original Dunlop Crybaby. I play mostly alternative/punk rock, with a little blues thrown in for fun, and the amp works very well for this. It is naturally very neutral, so pedals (at least what I've used with it) have a very natural and warm sound. The chorus is the legendary roland Jazz Chorus line standard, which sounds wonderful, the other effects are not bad, but certainly nothing to get worked up about. The distortion is weak, but a decent fuzz can remedy this quite well. By itself, the sound is warm, full, and sounds almost tube like, and this amp is rather loud for its size and specifications.

This amp is a perfect match for pedal fans, because it will basically personify your effects through and excellently warm, however clean the sound might be. This is without a doubt one of my favorite amps, due to its size to volume ratio which is quite impressive, and the beautiful sound it can produce. I compare this amp mainly to a 1966 Fender SR 2100, the forgotten solid state version of a twin reverb, and this amp delivers a warmer and more defined sound than the larger more powerful Fender. All in all, a great little amp perfect for the club scene.

The example I use is a communal piece of band gear, so I don't know much about its past treatment, but it occasionally fades in and out and sometimes cuts off for short periods of time. I suspect this to be due to poor treatment by a former owner, and with a little wear and tear maintenance, It could be a very solid gig amp.

Not sure of the year, but probably from the 80's or 90's. 50 watts of solid state power, 1x12 inch speaker, with the famous Roland Jazz chorus, reverb, tremolo, and a somewhat weak distortion. All of this is on one channel, with individual foot switch jacks for the effects, and a "headphone" jack.

kjepetil
    My Jazz Chorus might not work the way it is supposed to, but in my opinion the amp doesn't fit the description. I play a 1984 standard US strat, which sounds great with most amps. But on the Roland JC the sound is lifeless, and it becomes very muddy when you play a bit fast, especially in the lower range.
    barden1069
    I'm surprised this amp god such a low user rating. BTBAM use it for their clean tones, and they are absolutely gorgeous.