Jazz Chorus 50 review by Roland

Roland: Jazz Chorus 50

Purchased from: Used

This amp is the living definition of "clean", never ever distorting or making noises. The distortion is crap, but the cleans are lovely and it takes pedals really well (and I use quite a few). The built-in effects sound great, as you could expect from the mother company of Boss.

I play a lot of different styles ranging from alternative rock to black metal to blues and jazz, and this is the only amp I use nowadays, having moved on from a Carvin tube amp. If it was lost I'd replace it as soon as possible. I even think about buying another one already. This is ten out of ten, and beyond any doubt one of the best solid-state amplifiers ever made.

This amp is over 30 years old and still feels like new in every way. I don't think it'll ever break down, so I'd have no worries when it comes to gigging without a backup. The pots may require some cleaning after a couple of decades, but that's all there is to it. This is one solid amp.

This amp was built in the late seventies, in Japan. It's a pretty simple amp with two input jacks (high and low gain) and only one channel. There are also a number of effects - distortion, reverb, chorus, tremolo and a "bright" switch that can be pretty useful. It also comes with a footswitch that can be connected to two of the effects.