JC-120 review by Roland

Roland: JC-120

Purchased from: eBay

You want crystal clear sound? This is your amp. It can get ridiculously loud if needed. If you look at most amp modelers they have the JC-120 included for clean sounds. This is a solid state amp so you won't get the warm, honky sound of a tube amp but it is surprisingly warm for a solid state amp. I have found, however that if I use my visualsound Jekyll & Hyde pedal I can get pretty killer distortion warmth and depth. It is a great backend for a Line 6 POD. It also makes a great acoustic amp too.

I play everything from Beatles to Yes to metal and beyond. This amp works flawlessly time and again. I have played over 100 gigs with this amp and it never has failed me. I would definitely buy another if I lost this one. I would however seek out another old one. The newer ones as I mentioned above are not of the same quality in sound or construction.

I have owned this amp for 5 yrs with no problems. It is 25 years old and still rockin'. It is built like a tank. It is always ready to goI have owned this amp for 5 yrs with no problems. It is 25 years old and still rockin'. It is built like a tank. It is always ready to go I have owned this amp for 5 yrs with no problems. It is 25 years old and still rockin'. It is built like a tank. It is always ready to goI have owned this amp for 5 yrs with no problems. It is 25 years old and still rockin'. It is built like a tank. It is always ready to goI have owned this amp for 5 yrs with no problems. It is 25 years old and still rockin'. It is built like a tank. It is always ready to go.

This amp circa 1981 is from when Roland still made JC-120's cabinet from plywood instead of particle board and before they screwed up the chorus circuitry. It is a 2x60 watt stereo amp. Chorus and vibrato are lush and beautiful. There is a distortion knob but it sounds like a duck fart! It is solid state rather than tube. 2x12" speakers on board. It is very heavy (65lbs approx) and very well built. The included casters make moving it around much easier.

MESAexplorer
    Don't repeat the durabilty and reliability 5 times in your next review. At least i could ramble on about how durable it is for the lenght you repeated it.
    dafrimpster
    Atreidedlegend: Man, learn proper sentence structure. MesaExporer: I had a weird technical glitch when I submitted the review.I apologize for the repeats.
    Sapient
    The second review is for the microcube... wonder how that happened.
    Sapient
    whoa, something must be up with my computer, the second review disappeared.
    Alex Vik
    Wow, it took me 10 seconds to figure out that my brain wasn't messing with me and that it actually was the same sentence over and over and over again.
    zzzaaaccc
    I'm thinking about buying one of these eventually. Awesome clean tone, perfect for pedals.