Micro Cube review by Roland

Roland: Micro Cube

I use the cube with a Schecter Diamond 006 Deluxe with duel humbuckers to play just about every kind of rock you can think of. I use it as my main practice amp for playing by myself and it's plenty loud, although you couldn't play in a band with it. This amp is about as versatile as it gets. Acoustic: This model seems to simulate a $200 Epiphone, not a $2000 Martin, but if you want great sounding acoustic, why are you playing electric? This setting is also much quieter than the rest. JC Clean: Based on the Roland Jazz Chorus, this is an excellent clean. Not sterile sounding, which is good. Reaches high volumes without breaking up too much. Black Pannel: Give you a funkey sort of sustain. Not as good as the other models, but you may find a use for it. Brit Combo: A light AC/DC sounding overdrive is perfect for playing rhythm. Classic Stack: More of a Guns n' Roses type sounding distortion. Doesn't get much squeel but it's not bad. R-Fier: Pretty thick distortion for an amp this size. You'll get a good screem out of it at high volumes. Go easy on the gain. Mic: Made for use with a vocals microphone, this'll give your guitar a nice metalic sound. Effects: Six all digital effects as listed above. You don't get much range from the selector, but these are really strong. Reverb isn't great, but it's better than most other digital reverbs you're gonna get from small practice amps. The single tone knob give you a deffenite change in tone, although if you go past a third of the way in either direction, it's really extreme. Overall, the 5 inch speaker is surprisingly loud and give you some pretty good sound. A little lacking in bass, but better than anything else it's size.

When I told the guy at guitar center that this is what I wanted, he tried to steer me away from it. He suggested a Marshall MG15CDR for about the same price. Let's compare. The MG is louder than this, but still not loud enough for a band situation, while the Cube is plenty loud for playing by your self. The MG has overdrive (which sucks) and reverb. The cube has several different types of overdrive and distortion plus six effects (including reverb). Uh, thanks but I'll take the cube. Anyway, after we played with it for a couple minutes, the guy looked like he wanted to buy one for himself. The Micro Cube is a perfect match for me. It is my first electric guitar amp, although I've been playing acoustic for awhile. This and my Schecter 006 are the only electric stuff I've got, although I'll get a bigger amp when I join a band. If the cube were lost or stolen, I'd play my acoustic for awhile since I'm totally broke, then buy it again when I had saved up the money. I love just about everything about this. It's much bigger sounding than I expected. My favorite feature is probably the R-Fier setting which is great for playing leads. I wish it had a footswitch, but since it'd designed for playing alone, there's nothing wrong with stopping in the middle of a song to turn the knobs anyway. I great amp!

Made by Boss/Roland, built like a brick. You could throw this against a wall and the wall would come out on the short end. I don't know how the speaker will hold up at high volumes over an extended amount of time, but it hasn't broken yet.

Features are where this amp excells. If you're looking for an accurate modeling amp, look somewhere else. If you're looking for a small but powerful, versatile battery powered amp with four distortion options (black panel, brit combo, classic stack, and R-Fier), three clean options (JC Clean, Acoustic, and Mic), and six effects that actually work, this is for you. I use this amp for practicing by myself and it gets plenty loud despite its size. The effects include chorus, flanger, reverb, tremolo, phaser, and delay. A single tone knob does just what it says it does, controls tone. It's good for just about any style of music other than metal. If you're a metalhead, it won't do well as your main practice amp, but if you need something to take on vacation, it'd be good enough. All of the features are easy to use, although not extremely flexible. It also has a built in "tuning fork" that provides a reference tone. It won't replace your tuner but it's good to have in emergencies. The cube can be powered either by 6 AA batteries or an AC Adapter which comes with it. It has 1/4 and 1/8 inch aux in slots for CD player and drum machine as well as a headphone out that mutes the speaker.