Micro Cube review by Roland

Roland: Micro Cube

Purchased from: Steve's Music Store

I use this with my Yamaha EG 112 Strat copy, and it sounds awesome. You can play a variety of styles with it, since it imitates many different amp models: from metal to brit invasion. The only thing that kinda bothers me is that it buzzes at high gain, but that isn't too much of an issue. Sound in general is very clear, and can get nicely dirty at gain. The amp is geared toward electric guitars, and not so much for acoustic(though it can), I know ppl who aren't a huge fan cause they decided to plug in their acoustic in hopes of capturing the essence of a clear acoustic sound. For my uses and intentions, the sound is unbelievable for such a small amp - it is loud for 2 watts. I'm afraid my many retired neighbours are gonna come with their gardening shovels and ambush me when I play in the backyard.

I sold my shitty Yamaha GA 10 amp-7 watts, in order to get this-well worth it. It sounds way more powerful that a 7 watter, it can even match up to a 15 watt amp. I totally recommend this amp-since it contains the features and qualities of a much more expensive amp. I play rock-oriented songs, from Butch Walker, Nirvana to Green Day and Avril (yes, Avril). Dial in the settings you want, and you've got the artist you're trying to sound like. I love that at an affortable price, if can elevate your playing time and abilities to a whole new stage. There's all these amps sold my companies who make a lot of money but come out with some crappy amps-and ppl buy them cause they think it's good quality when they see the brand name-that's how I sold my old amp, it's crap but most people know Yamaha and they have a good reputation. This microcube, on the other hand, exceeds competition-it kicks the ass of other portable amps like the Pignose, and surpasses the Fender 15w amps (ex. Bullet, Champion) or Peavey Rage 158. If anyone decides to steal my amp, I've got a psycho of a neighbour who has boxing equipment in the backyard so he can blow off steam without breaking the walls of his house, I'm sure he wouldn't mind taking it out on the theif.

I don't gig with it, but I think you can use it for a little gig-a cafe or bookstore, and it'll hold it's own. If you're looking to play a bigger gig with drums and bass, connect it to a bigger amp, and it'll sound loud enough and great. I use it at home, just for fun and to improve-never broken down yet(only got it for a week now), and it seems durable and solid. Drop it-no problem, just pick it up and continue jammin'.

This amp uses COSM technology, which is digitally reproducing amp models based on analyzing how different amps produce certain tones. It features 6 amp models: acoustic, JC clean, black panel, brit combo, stacks, rectifier, and mic. It has built-in EFX: chorus, phaser, flange, tremelo, as well as reverb/delay. There's one tone knob, gain, and a tuning fork which can tune standard, a semitone flat, and a whole step flat. I use all the features, as well as plug in my CD player to play along with it. There's a phone out for headphones, good for recording or just practicing. I use this as a practice amp at home, which raised the amount of time I spend practicing, cause there's so many options-it's fun. No need to lug around pedals-just throw it in your backpack(it can run on 6 batteries, lasting up to 20hours), and go for a camping trip.