Micro Cube review by Roland

Roland: Micro Cube

Purchased from: L&M Music

I primarily play a Fender Telecaster '52 MIJ repro with a Bigsby and a four-position pickup switch that lets me run the two single coils in series for a really fat sound. With the Telecaster I play mainly jazz (really) with occasional detours into surf music, classic rock, and some rockabilly twang. I generally keep my sound clean on the Jazz Chorus channel, but I also favor the Black Panel, British, and R-Fier settings. I also play classical guitar and run an electric classical, a Washburn Festival Series EC-41 with a piezo pickup in the bridge and a decent EQ, through the acoustic setting. I have read reviews on the Cube amps that say the acoustic feature is a total waste, and that is a true statement if you are trying to make a plank like a Tele or a Strat sound like an acoustic. But if you really plug an acoustic into it and tweak it, the little amp sounds great and is strong enough to boost my classical's sound to reach the back of a small church or stand out against a pair of flutes (a good flutist can get loud when the notion strikes) or a medium size choir (think Silent Night). The Micro Cube is not as touchy about feedback as my Trace Acoustic amp and not nearly as heavy.

If this amp were lost or stolen, I would not hesitate to buy another one. It's great for practicing my style of music and my wife appreciates the headphone jack, especially when I get in a rockabilly state of mind. I have been looking for a new main amp and the quality of the Micro Cube has me looking seriously at a Cube 60 instead of the big ol' sixty-four pound Jazz Chorus 120 I had my heart set on. We'll see.

This little amp is a tank. I owned another Roland amp years ago (and wish I still had it) and could almost believe the things are bullet proof. With a Roland, who needs backup?

I bought the amp new about a year ago, so I assume it was made in 2004 or 2003. I was really shopping for a Pignose for a practice amp, but this thing really caught my attention with its features (for its small size)and versatility. I wish I could switch effects with a pedal, but it is, after all, a practice amp. It can be used for a simple solo gig in a small room as long as nobody got excited. another aux out for a tuner would be nice.