Micro Cube review by Roland

Roland: Micro Cube

Purchased from: Kosmic Sound

I use this with a 2005 Ibanez ICX220 with the standard INF3 and INF4 pickups, my musical preferences definently lean towards metal and punk but I find myself playing a wide range of styles and sounds. This amp suits me extremely well, the large variety of effects and amp models allows me an abundance of flexibility. My only complaint is that the small speaker does tend to make the sound a bit muddy in some settings, this is most noticeable with heavy distortion, but that is in my opinion to be expected on any of the smaller amps available. Personally I feel the sound quality of amp even with high distortion is not considerably worse than any others within its price bracket and is considerably better than most of them. For such a small, low powered amp it pumps out a suprising amount of volume with respectable sound quality.

As mentioned before I play mostly punk and metal but venture into other styles, this amp suits me well and is in my opinion flexible enough for almost any style, though I'm no expert by any means, just a enthusiastic amatuer. I've been playing on and off for the last 10 years during which I've owned and played on other amps around the 10-15watt range from Crate, Marshall, Ibanez, Kustom, Laney and Behringer, for a solid state practice amp, in my opinion the Microcube is pretty hard to beat despite being a fraction of the wattage of many competitors in its price class. I bought this amp wanting a small amp for bedroom use and to use while travelling. I researched my decision and played on many amps before deciding on the Microcube. In my opinion, the other amps within its price bracket couldn't compare in overall value for money, build and sound quality with the exception of the Roland Cube-15. I chose the Microcube over the Cube 15 mainly because it was more practical for a travel amp and had a better assortment of effects, I thought the Cube 15 had an edge over the Microcube on overall sound quality though. If this amp was lost or stolen I wouldn't hesitate to replace it with another.

It's a bit small to gig with, although someone might be tempted to hook it into a larger amp. It's certainly dependable and is of a high quality, solid build. The cable on the AC adapter is about the only thing that will readily succumb to abuse, but it shouldn't be a problem to fix or replace if needed.

Nice array of features and superb build quality for such an inexpensive amp, don't be fooled by the 2watt rating this amp is as loud as many of the higher wattage practice amps within its price range and has a decent range of sound out of its small speaker. The effects all work well and provide a wide variety of sound which is suitable for almost any style, for a bedroom amp or travel amp, this one is pretty much unbeatable and a safe bet for a first amp.

nerz
    I bought one for 110 euro's and thats about 100 dollars i think so there pretty cheap and with all the delays and stuff it makes it the best practice amp i think