Micro Cube review by Roland

Roland: Micro Cube

Purchased from: Waterloo Music

I use an Epiphone Les Paul Standard with the stock humbuckers on it. I don't really have any style, I play everything from blues to metal to Indie to punk and everything in between, and I can always count on getting the right sound. Each of the 7 channels have a unique sound, so I'll describe each one. Acoustic - this turns your electric guitar sound into an acoustic sound, and it really does what it tries to do! JC Clean - the basic clean channel, it can get a little dirty if the gains on full, but it's very clean with no gain. Black Panel - a bright clean channel, tends to get a little dirtier than JC Clean at times, good for blues though. Brit Combo - this is probably the channel with the most range. It's pretty clean with no gain, and has some good distortion with full gain. Classic Stack - my personal favourite channel. Even with no gain, it's dirty, and with full gain, it's just a really great sound. Can be used in many styles, such as indie and prog-rock. R-Fier - the is the dirtiest channel the amp has, very mellow and distorted. Perfect for most metal. Mic - this channel should be used when using the AUX in feature, gives a clear sound.

This is really the first amp I've had, and I've had it for 2 years. It fits any style really, and I'm glad I bought it. I've used my friends amps, but I just couldn't get the right sound out of them. They also complain about the size of thiers, while I just slip my Micro Cube in a knapsack, and still overpower thier amps in come cases. The only thing I wish it had was an equalizer, but you can't expect everything for such a small price! I'd surely buy another if mine got lost or stolen.

I use this amp as my practice amp, it's obvious too small to play a gig with, so I don't really need to worry about the durability. It does seem solid though, and it's never blown out or broken down on me in the 2 years I've had it.

I bought my Micro Cube in the summer of '04, and it's still going strong. There are so many tones that are possible from it, from acoustic to heavy metal. There's no real equalizer on it, only gain, volume and tone, but you can't expect much from this small of an amp! There are 7 channels, all which have a purpose. There are also lots of effects built into this thing. Chorus, flanger, phaser and tremolo are all on one knob, then delay and reverb on another. There is also a line out on the back, so it's good for recording. There's also an AUX in, so you can hook up your CD player or mp3 player up to it.

KaiserX
    it isn't bad if you need something very portable. Much better than you would think for something of its size. I dont know if you can do anything but a backyard gig or a small coffee shop gig though. Pretty cool piece of work.