Micro Cube review by Roland

Roland: Micro Cube

Purchased from: Bentley's Music

I've used this amp with a Fender Strat, an acoustic-electric, and an Epiphone Special II. I haven't done any sort of gigs with this yet, but I will test the sound of this baby out when I go busking next time... It should withstand the noise in a public place, although probably wouldn't fare too well if it were used in a band situation, because if you have a loud drummer, and if you were playing lead guitar, your solos and riffs would probably be drowned out. Again, I think this amp is very versatile, being able to go from Hendrix to Angus Young. The clean channels has a very small buzzing sound at full volume, but it doesn't really bug me, because you would only be able to hear it if the room you were in was very quiet. The distortion has the same buzzing noise at full volume, but I figured that was normal, and yes, this baby can do wonders when distorted. But again, not loud enough for a real good jam session or gig, but then again, you wouldn't of have bought a 2 watt amp if that's what you wanted to do with it.

I've been playing for about 4 years, and the amp I was using before this was a really old 180 watt Fender Princeton. It was really good but it had a very loud and annoying buzzing noise when I used the distortion channel. Although the MicroCube doesn't match it in volume or quality (and I'm talking about when the Princeton was relatively new), it definitely is something I can rely on for a long time. What impressed me most about the amp, is the volume it can get to with just 2 Watts. The effects are awesome, and the amp modelling the microcube has is no short of amazing. And if it were lost or stolen, I'd probably save up to get the Cube 60 or a Marshall.

I have actually used this with 9 and 7 year olds fooling around with it. And trust me, most things can't last when kids are around, but while I was taking good care of my guitar, I left my amp at their mercy, which was a mistake, but luckily, it was alright. But I couldn't say the same for my jack though. I definitely wouldn't need a backup when using it on any gigs. I could kick it around and it wouldn't break down.

Mine was made in China and I had gotten the Limited Edition version of this, so it was red (which looks pretty decent, and I feel it looks better than the normal one). And figuring it was a limited edition version, it had to be made in either 2005 or 2006, and it came with a pretty cool T-Shirt. Ok, so I play mainly Classic Rock, some Metal, a lot of acoustic stuff and I also like fooling around with effects and all that. So far this amp hasn't disappointed me at all, it is very versatile. It has a 12 cm speaker (5 inches) and is very loud for it's very modest 2 Watt output. It has a digital Tuning Fork, which in my opinion isn't very good, because for some reason, I can't tune my guitar to it. It has 7 different COSM amp models, which uses sound modelling technology to make up the sound of the original amps, such as the electrical and physical characteristics. There is the Acoustic which is a pretty good simulation of a real acoustic, then there's JC Clean which sounds very good with no feedback whatsoever at any volume, and sounds very good with the onboard effects this amp has. Then there's the Black Panel which is modelled on the classic Fender Twin Reverb Amp, also pretty nice. Then the Brit Combo, modelled on the Vox AC-30TB, this channel sounds amazing whether distorted or clean. And then my favourite, the Classic Stack, modelled on of course, a Marshall JMP1987, this is my favourite because obviously of my personal preference, but also I can play a lot more than just classic rock with this, and has a very nice tone. Then the R-Fier stack, modelled on the MESA/Boogie Rectifier, this one leans more into a slash metal and grunge sound, which is also another good one. Then there's an input for a Microphone (I'm the lead singer of a band), and this one isn't too loud, so I wouldn't suggest using it when jamming or gigging with a full band. Now onto the effects! It has 6 DSP effects, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tremolo, Delay, and Reverb. I have fiddled with all the effects mainly using the Reverb, Delay, Chorus and Tremolo, but I am impressed with the all the effects this surprisngly small amp can produce. The only problem I had with this amp, is the lack of power, so I think this would make an Ideal practice/room amp.