Micro Cube review by Roland

Roland: Micro Cube

I've run a Peavey Raptor Plus Exp (which has a humbucker) and a BC Rich Bronze Warlock (which also has a humbucker) and overall there was no real difference in sound. The BC Rich sounded better with the distortion because the humbucker was a better quality though. As I said before if you turn it up too loud with any setting on the amp it can get very muddy and noisy. It has, to be exact, 7 amp models: acoustic, JC clean, black panel, Brit ea range of tones. The recto setting is quite good distortion for a $150 amp, but for top string heavy palm muting, its very shallow and has no feel. It seems to sound good in the middle strings only, not the bottom strings either. For soloing its very thin and lifeless.

I play really heavy metal and death metal, so this thing suffices for a practice amp. Its an excellent first amp for a new player, and I also recommend the Peavey Raptor Plus EXP for a beginner guitar. It really can't stand up to any other decent amp however. If it were stolen I wouldn't replace it because I have my Line6 Spider II which is far far far better than this cube.

I would depend on it because I have dropped it several times and it still sounds fine. I really wouldn't take this thing to a gig because its like 7 inches tall, but if it was bigger I'd take it without a backup. Never broken down on me at all.

I'm not sure what year this amp was made in, but it was very new. It has some nice amp models in it like a JC Clean, and a Rectifier setting. It also has a few Vintage distortion settings in it. I mostly play metal/death metal so the rectifier setting worked well, and is suprisingly good for a practice amp. That's all the amp is really good for is practice, because if you turn it up too loud the sound gets very muddy and loud. It also has a spot for I think 6 AA batteries, and has a headphone jack.

Skate Terminal
    This amp is amazing with all the different options you get..I agree with tywald though. It does need to be a bit louder although it is a great practice amp.