Micro Cube review by Roland

Roland: Micro Cube

I use a 1994 Les Paul Studio with dual factory humbuckers. This amp's sonic versatility makes it perfect for all of my styles. It is low noise, and any hum I hear may be environmental. This amp emulates several otherh higher priced amps, and does so well, including Roland's JC120, the Fender Twin, Vox AC-30, Marshall stacks, and a MesaBoogie triple rectified. The Boogie distortion leans towards brutal, the rest are smooth, predictable, and what you would want. I've not had need to play it loud, but the clean channels sound lush and sweet at the volumes I have used it at. It is listed at 2 watts output, but I believe that to be false.

This amp is a good match for all music styles. I'd take it with me on vacation as well. I've been playing for 21 years, and I have my LP studio, a Mex Tele, an '87 Ovation Celebrity, a POD XP Live, and a Fender Power Chorus. Because of it's size and versatility, I'd pick up my MicroCube first, before the POD and the Fender. I love its' sound and portablilty. I was really intending on buying a Fender Frontman 15 when I saw the display for the MC and had to have it. It compares to amps considerably larger than it and does so well. I'd have to replace it if it were lost or stolen, even if you can't control it with your feet.

It is small to gig with, so I can't say that I'd use it for that, but for rehersals, practice, and recording, I'd use it for all. I have Faith in the detachable strap and I think it will work well into the future, as Roland products have great durability.

This is the 2006 model. I play country, southern rock, hard rock, metal, and punk. This is a single channel practice amp that has several unique and genuine models built in. Since purchasing it last week, I've left my POD XT Live alone. I use this amp when rehersing in a small area with 2 other practice amps. I don't have to turn the volume up past 1/4. It lacks effects loops, but has several built in digitally modeled effects, including flanger, phaser, chorus, reverb, delay, and tremolo. They sound genuine and don't start to deteriorate. I do wish the amp had some form of external mode switching, but in an amp so small, it's fantastic either way.