Micro Cube review by Roland

Roland: Micro Cube

Purchased from: J&R

I use a superstrat copy Biscayne Flyer Ltd with a Duncan Performer Scorcher Rails on the neck pickup. I play mostly instrumental high gain like Satriani, Vai, Petrucci. I use the R-fier for that, the tone at 12 and does the job very well. The Marshall Stack model is very good to get a warm smooth tone (i.e Santana), is not very gainy to enter metal zone, but for classic rock it suits perfectly, although sometimes I use my DigiTech Bad Monkey overdrive as a boost for more sustain and thickness of the tone when the R-fier is too harsh for me. When using this 2 amp models with almost full gain I never get passed the volume at 1-2, it gets damn loud after that. The clean amp models are impressive too, especially the JC-Clean with a little reverb. The black panel is more bassy and it's tend to make the speaker to "fart" when playing at a moderate volume and using the speaker, is not very noticeable unless you're standing right next to the amp. The acoustic does the job wonderfully, doesn't sound like a real acoustic, but really close. The ony complain that I have is that the R-fier model doesn't have enough gain for a decent sustain to lead stuff, it have enough to play very heavy riffs but for soloing the tone is too thin and harsh IMO.

An excellent practice amp, don't think there is something better for the price. I have been playing since 2003 and just own 2 little amp, a Crate GX10 and this. The best of the Microcube is the variety of sound packed on it and have all the features you need to practice without depeding of external effects. I don't know I will buy it if it were stolen/broken cause it would like to try anothers portable amps like the DA-5, The Ibanez Valvee, etc. I have recorded some clips with the amp on my site:http://amlc.dmusic.com/. I use the Microcube line out through the PC, although it very close to the sound using the amp's speaker. Check it out and judge by yourself.

I have it for like almost 2 months so I can say too much about reliability, although I use it only for bedroom practice and I don't even think that I will take it outside to jam or something, not because if not portable or anything alike, but cause I'm not in a band, just play to myself for fun.

Is quite versatile cause you have various amps models from acoustic simulation to heavy metal. It only have one channel, no effects loops, headphone/recording out jack, CD input jack, tuning fork and a tone knob. It come with various effects like tremolo, flanger, chorus, reverb and delay. I wish it had a 3-band EQ, but that would increase the price which is already very affordable. This amp is only for bedroom obviously, although it can get very loud for such a tiny little speaker (5').

cturner11
    I own one and its pretty cool. Like a lot of others said, its not very loud at all on the clean settings. If you turn to the more grainy settings, and turn up the gain it gets louder. Good, but not great for big performances. A basic practice amp.
    TMAW
    People talking about gigging with it shoudl be aware tha you can mic this little beauty into a PA and you instantly have enough volume
    DB is Winner
    I tried this out in a local music store, and I'm planning on getting this as a practice amp soon. I was pretty impressed with it, but I have a question about gigging with it. Suppose I don't have a PA system on hand, but I wanted to plug it into a larger amp that doesn't sound as good. For example, say, my 60 watt Behringer Ultrabass bass amp. How would the sound quality be affected? Would I still have to mess with the EQ and such to make it sound like it did on the Microcube?
    meminus
    Was wondering about the soundsamples...is it really that good or is it a bit fake?