Micro Cube review by Roland

Roland: Micro Cube

Purchased from: Bought Used off Craigslist

The acoustic setting really sounds like my acoustic guitar and the JC Clean gives it a really jazzy sound with my Les Paul Studio, the Black Panel is in my opinion like a Deeper sounding JC Clean channel also really nice for a Jazzier or Blussy sound. The Brit Combo setting gives you a more old school punk rock sound, kind of like a Sex Pistols sound especially if you crank the gain up. The last two settings have to be my favorite, the Classic Stack setting is just what it says it is, it gives you a really old school rock or metal sound, more like an older AC/DC sound, and the R-Fier is a really heavy metal sound like a Metallica or Maiden sound and sounds amazing if you crank up the gain. And I don't know if it's supposed to work for guitar but the Mic setting sounds really nice with a guitar, iv never played through a tube amp but that what I imagine one sounding like, it sounds really jazzy with no gain and a lot like a classic rock or metal sound if you crank up the gain. Now the tone knob is really simple on this thing but really effective, you can go from a really Slash sound to a kirk Hammett by switching from Hi to Lo. And the effects are amazing but only really sound nice on the JC Clean or Black Panel, the Chorus and Flanger just sound like an airplane on the Stacks and Brit Combo with some Gain. The Phaser and Tremolo sound pretty similar to me. I really like the Delay, you can go from a really fast short delay to a long and late delay. The Reverb kinda sounds like a big hall way to me but I've never really liked reverb so I'm not the person to review a reverb sound. I just have to say, this thing is loud, for 2 watts, it beats my friends 20 watt amp(but it's a First Act so). Anyways I was playing outside my house this summer on the R-Fier setting with 1/2 volume and full gain and had neighbors complaining that it's too loud, so think about that. The thing is a little beast.

I have to say I really love this thing, I mostly play metal and classic rock and this thing is perfect for that but can also easily work for jazz and blues. I've been playing for about 1 1/2 years now and had this for about 4 months now and I really wish I had this when I started. I only have a Epi Les Paul Studio with dual humbuckers, so it's the thing I run through it and it sounds amazing. If it was stolen I would ofcourse try to find it first but if I couldnt I would defenitly buy another one, No Doubt about that one. My favore feature would either have to be the R-Fier or the Mic because they just sound amazing with the gain cranked all the way up. I ofcourse compared it to the DA-5 but sadly didn't get a chance the play both but I was told that this amp would be better for the stuff I play, and that the DA-5 is mostly for classic rock, blues, and jazz. The only thing that could make this amp better is a direct out put to run this into another amp or a cab and use it like an amp head or an effects pedal but like I said earlier, I can Live without it, one miracle at a time.

This thing is probly the best built thing ever. It's very durable, iv dropped it a few times and it still works great. Another thing is just how portable it really is, it fit perfectly in my small Nike backpack with the rest of my stuff in there. One thing that might put some of you off is the batteries and the 20 Hours of playtime they promise (I know it put me off alittle), and trust me, you will get way more than that, it's really loud and if you are just playing at home you will never ever need the volume at full blast. I bought mine in June and put fresh batteries in because I didn't have power supply then and only got it in August and I haven't used it even now in October and still have the same batteries in it. And I played it almost everyday over the summer for 30-60 minutes at a time. I have to say, it's the most durable and reliable thing I've ever seen.

Not sure on the year but it has all of the features that the newest ones have. I really like the Aux inputs, you can run almost anything through it, I listen to my PSP through it and it sounds great, or you can just run it through the main Input and use the effects and change the sound around with it, I running the sound from my 360 through this while playing Halo 3 with the R-Fier setting and it was great, the shots and explosions sounded amazing it was like a heavy metal concert really crazy sounding guitars. The only thing that could have made this better would be an Out put other than the Headphones out so you can use this thing like an effects pedal but I can Live without it. And the headphone jack is always nice to have. But for the $75 that this ended up costing me($50 for the amp, $15 for the power cable and $5 for the battery cover and $5 shipping and handeling) but I was ready to pay $125 for it new and the only reason I didn't is because I saw this just before I was going to order one off of Musiciansfriend.