Micro Cube review by Roland

Roland: Micro Cube

Purchased from: Guitar Village

I'm using my Epiphone LP custom and Ibanez RG1570 (with Dimarzio high output pups in it) and for this rig, no effects. I play a variety of music which both demands heavily distorted tones and then a loose OD for blues and also sparkling/enducing cleans. My aforementioned VC30 has great cleans and OD but to rig it up for distortion takes about half an hour to perfect and is even then quite loud, and this little amp can produce a very usable sound for all of these on a smaller portable scale. It's also suprisingly quiet even when in the R-FIER mode which has rather crushing distortion (crushing in the lightest form, it's not "ball rattling" per se, but it sounds very high gainy). Possible down points about the amps modelling though are the effects which all sound rather digital, however I can easily attribute this down to the price of the amp, and they're very usable when just having a noodle or jam. The clean models on the amp (acoustic, JC and Black Panel) don't break up much in higher volumes, and if they do that's either just due to the input from the guitar over powering the speaker (I'm not sure if that's just a lack of it being broken in yet or just too much volume) or that's what it's modelled to do. The biggest complaint that I do have about it (and it's not that big, I mean it's a tiny manageable package) is that it only has one 'tone' control. Replacing the usual dual/triple EQing layout on the majority of other amps we have this single knob which has a various affect upon the sound of each amp model, but in general it's a range from trebly and clear (my favoured one) to just dull and blunt, which limits the capabilities of many of the models greatly, but then again, it's a practice amp and I'm using it just for that, not state of the ART recording.

I'm very happy with this amp, it's ticked all the boxes I required for when I was deciding what I would need and then some. It may not produce perfect sound quality but if you're looking at this, you won't need it to and will accept its faults with its benefits, it's a small and light, readily moveable amp that will deffinately serve its purpose well if you so need it.

It seems terribly well built and sturdy, I'd be happy to drop it several times and to bet it would still work and it seems like it will last for a long time to come. I wouldn't gig with it, but it's very well suited to say a private performance in the living room/bedroom for friends or family or busking etc (although the new Micro street cube is out soon which would probably be superior for that purpose) and the strap supplied seems sturdy.

I presume it was made in the year 2006/2007 and I bought this today. I have a valve amp which I use for my clean sounds and classic OD (it's a VC30) but I was stuck for a small versatile practice amp after my original one finally gave in. After hearing a tirade of praise for this little amp I checked it out and found that in a tiny portable package (which can be optionally battery powered) I can have a range of actually good distortion tones and relatively good cleans at a low volume, although this has some serious welly available when you need to get some volume out. It has 6 amp models (acoustic, JC clean (After the infamous Jazz chorus, Black Panel (modelled upon a Fender Twin), Brit combo (AC-30), Classic stack (Marshall) and R-fier (Mesa) and also the ability to use it as an amp for vocals. On top of this it also has reverb/delay (not mixable) as well as chorus/flanger/phaser/tremolo (again, not mixable). It also has several other features such as a tuning fork (produces an A, Ab or Abb tone for you to tune to, but seeing as I use a locking trem with the fine tuners, this is a pretty redundant feature for accurateness) and also line out, input from an MP3 player or whatnot. It may not be an all in one box of perfection, but for a practice amp this has to be put into perspective, and for this price and portability this is the best example of a practice amp on the market currently.

majikmik
    i paid 60 for mine at music ground in leeds and its the best bit of kit i ever bought i use it for busking and it increased my earning by 200% from before when i used just an acoustic you can hear me clearly from the next street it hardly ever distorts but i do keep getting a lot of feedback it sounds outstanding when playing the blues and ac/dc sounds sick on this little baby and its light enough to atach to your guitar case with a bungee and u dont know its there so great for a travelling hobbo like me
    sid-x
    this is the best practice amp in the world someone name me one better
    sid-x
    this amp is the bees knees its awesome every model to every effect its awesome
    ampvirgin
    I almost didn't purchase one of these because I had a mental image burned into my brain about the guy "vascillating" over the cube, but once I thought about it and realized what it meant...well, I was kinda turned on by the whole "vascillation" process and decided to make the purchase.
    GTB24
    ive got this but in the ltd edt whit its awesome really loud for its size i play and ibanez iceman icx 220 through it with a boss wah-v pedal sounds absolutly awesome. i play mostly metal but some softer rock like stone sours thru glass but for tht i use my ridgewood a2006 ovation copy. this amp unlike others ive played gives very little feedback with my guitar whcih is another good thing about it. all in all gd amp i got it for 60