Micro Cube review by Roland

Roland: Micro Cube

There is so much to say about this amp. First of all, I've played this with a Schecter Omen 6, and a Fender American Telecaster, and both sound pretty amazing. The amp models are Acoustic, JC Clean, Black Panel, British Combo, Classic Stack, R-Fier, and mic. I haven't tried out a mic into the Cube yet, but all of the others express themselves very well. Each model in order goes from low gain to brutally high gain. My favorite model would probably be Classic Stack. All of the effects are good because they're chips from Boss pedals, but the one effect that I absolutely love on this is the Reverb. Not exactly what type of Reverb it is, but it can go from nice and subtle to extremely powerful. Great sound for doing solos. There is also a tone knob which controls the bass/treble balance, but I don't see why anyone would use this unless you're a Jazz player. Also, even on the high gain models, the amp is not all that noisy. You may get a little buzz from the R-fier model, but it's nothing too harsh. The tones that this little thing is capable of is amazing, especially for the price. And don't let the 2 watts fool you, this thing gets loud and since it's purpose is a full featured practice amp, the 2 watts is all you need.

The only practice amp in my opinion that can rival the Micro Cube would probably be the Vox ADVT15. Great amp, but it's not battery powered, and it's a little more expensive because it's a hybrid amp. I play anything from Smooth Jazz to Death Metal and this amp holds up fine. I have also been playing for about 3 years, give or take. If you're interested in what other gear I own, just look at my user page. If this were stolen or lost, I would definitely get another. So yeah, beginners, intermediates, experts, whatever, go and pick up one of these little monsters. You won't regret it!

The Micro Cube is no toy. It is built like a tank. End of story. Hell, the grill over the speaker is metal, I think that should speak for itself. Since it is only a practice/recording amp, it is only 2 watts, and that makes this amp not good to have a gig. However, if you're maybe going to a Coffee Shop or something and don't require a drummer, it should do fine.

The Roland Micro Cube is a very versatile practice amp for the small price of $125. With its many amp models, and various features, it is the best practice amp on the market in my opinion. This amp was bought new so it's an '07 model. There are 7 amp models (one used for mic), and 6 effects, with the Delay and Reverb having their own independent knobs. It also comes with a handy tuning fork, so you can tune up using harmonics. There is no EQ, but as good as this amp sounds, you don't really need one surprisingly. The one input jack I really like on this is the Rec/Line Out, because it sounds great for home recording, and there are many possibilities for it as well. And of course, everyone's favorite feature is that this amp can be powered by AA batteries, with 15 hours of life, but also has a 9v power supply included as well.

Kada2110
    Buy a Kustom 12A, it has a tube and it has a much sweeter sound. Not good for metal tough...
    ikarian-pride
    crap its kinda expensive for a micro amp but i guess the effects are worth it but still 2 watts for over 100 bucks(apperantly) hopefully the local shop has em for cheap or ill have to buy a fender mini amp
    sueycide
    This thing is like a ****ing tank. I seriously dropped it from my desk 4 times and not a scratch. I could hunt with it.
    sid-x
    i cant get over this brilliant amp ,i have a friend with a marshall a valve amp which sounds ****ing brilliant.No joke i put my micro cube next to it and my micro cube kicked its ass in sound , i couldnt believe it !
    13sg13
    Metallica1989 wrote: This thing is cool. It's a great room practice/beginner amp.
    is it louder than an average 2 watts?
    Ze_Metal
    No, I was so surprised how loud is is with gain at about 3 o' clock. Yes the clean isnt that lous like others said But my metal settings sound amazing and on full blast it literally shakes the house.
    I-Shot-Jr
    majikmik wrote: i paid 60 for mine at music ground in leeds and its the best bit of kit i ever bought i use it for busking and it increased my earning by 200% from before when i used just an acoustic you can hear me clearly from the next street it hardly ever distorts but i do keep getting a lot of feedback it sounds outstanding when playing the blues and ac/dc sounds sick on this little baby and its light enough to atach to your guitar case with a bungee and u dont know its there so great for a travelling hobbo like me
    wow a hobo on the internet!