Micro Cube review by Roland

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Roland: Micro Cube

Since it's my travel amp, I use my most compact guitar with it, my Les Paul Standard Premium Plus, which has two humbuckers on it. I can pull off most styles of music with this combo, but it does sound a bit weak sometimes. The channels are all pretty different, Acoustic sounds bright, and kind of jangly. JC Clean reminds me of a country guitarists amp... If he played a horrible 5 watt solid state. Black Panel is my favorite clean channel, it has a more bassy, warm sound. Brit Combo sounds a bit like a Vox AD30 with a fuzzface infront of it, only horribly, horribly not. Classic Stack is my favorite OD/Dist channel, it has a warm, but biting sound to it, but as always, kind of weak. R-Flier is the "Metal." setting, but it is so scratchy, I just don't play much metal when I'm away. Mic is obviously for a microphone, but if you play the guitar through it, it sucks. Quick tip, to get a good blues sound, set it to Brit Combo, with the tone all the way up, and the gain at about 1 o'clock.

I play most types of music, rock n roll, blues, metal, rockabilly, punk, bits of ska, grunge, classic rock, hard rock, sludge metal, stoner rock/metal, and many others, and it can handle them all, in a bedroom kind of way. I've been playing for about 5 years now, and it's been my second travel amp. The first being a shitty Ibanez 15 watter. If I lost it, or it was stolen, I think I would buy a Tiny Terror instead, but that's just me. I picked this because of vesetility, and size, and that's what I got.

I would never gig with this, I would never play in public with it, and I certainly don't need a backup for my bedroom. I run it on batteries, because I lost the AC adapter, but they last for months. I've dropped it several times, and it seems to plug along just like always. For a travel amp, this is great, but to gig, or to show off, you look like a twat. When I take it places, I put this strap with very stiff ends on it, so I can sling it over my shoulder with my backpack, just another idea.

Made in 2006, solid state modeling amp. that's kind of all that there is to it. It has 7 presets, or channels I guess, Acoustic, JC Clean, Black Panel, Brit Combo, Classic Stack, R-Flier, and Mic. No effects loop, but it has a headphones jack, which is great for latenight playing. It only has 5 watts, I think, but it's louder than it looks, but if you crank it over about 1 o'clock, it just sounds nasty. I use it for a practice, and traveling amp, and it's plenty big enough for that. It also has a cool little tuning fork thing, you choose the tuning you want, and tap the button. It rings out at the same note as you would get from a natural harmonic at the 5th fret on the A string, or the 7th fret on the E. It also has a few cool little effects, reverb/delay on one knob, and chorus/flanger/phaser/tremolo on the other. The only tone shaping you get is through two knobs labeled, Tone and Gain.

Anjohl
    This or the low end Line 6 Spider Amps are the best practice amps period. The Cube is SOOO tiny, you could put it in a bookshelf! Also, being optionally battery powered is a REALLY neat feature...campfire singalong to Metallica anyone?
    SnookM
    I love this amp, built like a tank and louder than three MG15s put together (my mates amps) haha. My favorite preset would be "Classic Stack" but they're all good, I keep it on 1/4 volume in my room because anything louder and the neighbours complain, this amp is great for Guns N' Roses, AC/DC, Cre that sort of stuff and more bluesie stuff too. Amazing.
    DeadlyKombat
    Anjohl wrote: The Cube is SOOO tiny, you could put it in a bookshelf! Also, being optionally battery powered is a REALLY neat feature...campfire singalong to Metallica anyone?
    Awesome
    TechnicolorType
    lol at the first review. the drowning out the drums thing with this is a joke. unless the drummer is barley tapping the drums then that isn't going to happen lol. I have this amp and if there's a real drummer on the drums then you can't get over them at all. This little amp is no match for a big set of drums. very loud for it's size though, but can't overpower drums. Nowhere close.
    Nimafia
    yeah i bout this amp and its actually pretty loud for its size but there is no way it could drown out drums [quote]TechnicolorType wrote: the drowning out the drums thing with this is a joke. i agree with u
    prt1990
    Okay so it won't drown out drums, but will I be able to hear myself play next to them? It sounds like a cool amp...