Micro Cube review by Roland

Roland: Micro Cube

Purchased from: Sound Control

I usually use this with my strat, and it gives some incredible distortions and beautful clean tones too. Even with my SG and ESP it sounds just as good, its all great! It suits every style of music I've played in the last 3 years which is just about anything. It doesn't really get noisy unless you use a poor guitar through it and stand with the pickup against the speaker... I usually use the Brit Combo setting for clean, and I've never had a single bit of unwanted distortion, but when I turn it to R-Fier for a bit of distortion, man is it good! It gets pretty loud when you turn the gain up but the fuzz is amazing and it's a sound that you probably won't find anywhere else unless it's on a cube.

It's brilliant, I'd never replace it with any other practice amp other than another one of these. I've been playing it for over 3 years, with quite a range of guitars: Japanese Les Paul copy, Custom Strat, Westfield Explorer, Epiphone SG, Legacy Strat, Pulse Double Cut (like a strat), and ESP LTD H-250. I've got a Boss ME-20 pedal although I rarely use it with this amp, you honestly don't need it. The only thing I would consider changing with this amp would be a channel Switch so that you don't have to bend down and fiddle around to change the effects while playing, that is the only bad thing about it. But if you get two of them, set one to clean and one to distortion, buy a channel pedal and swap between the two of them :P it's totally worth it!

To be fair, seeing as I've used it most days for over 3 years and it's still working absolutely fine, I think I can say its a tough piece of kit. It hasn't lost any sound quality, and hasn't shown any significant damage although it's been through rather a lot. Even the power still functions great, I've only changed the batteries once in all that time! It's never failed me and I don't think it's ever going to at this rate. The only damage done to it was on the carrying strap and that was only there when I got the amp back from a friend who borrowed it for a week...not happy about that... So yeah I think you can say its strong :)

I assume the amp was made in the year I bought it, 2006. Since then it's been incredibly versatile with both my playing and all the knocks and scrapes it's endured. Although it only has the single channel, that channel offers more sounds and more variety than any amp I've seen. Before I got my Marshall Valve Amp I used this everywhere, at home and even at small gigs. For 2 watts it packs a massive punch, gives out a mighty roar even when everything else is blasting out. The different amp types was a brilliant idea that Roland have successfully included in all the cubes, thankfully this one too!