Micro Cube review by Roland

Roland: Micro Cube

Purchased from: PMT

I used it for 2 years through a crappy Behringer iAxe 393 and for a couple of months through an Epiphone Explorer. The difference was intense, and the amp simply became way better when used with the better guitar! The tone was infinitely better, as well as there being some bass in there, finally. I play a wide range of styles, from blues, to hard rock, to metal, and it handled these the best I've ever seen in a practice amp. However, there is some noise. Not much, but it's noticeable when not playing anything on the guitar and it can get annoying. But when playing it pretty much gets covered up enough for me to not notice it, so I don't mind that. The amp sounds good overall, with excellent midrange, decent highs, but little bass. However, this is of course a practice amp so this proved no problem at all, and of course I didn't expect anything different. It still sounds better than many solid-state practice amps I have heard. This does have a lot of gain on tap, which is good as the other amp models also provide good cleans, so it can encompass a wide variety of music. The cleans do not get particularly distorted, although once again, it's a solid-state practice amp, so the louder you go, the worse it's gonna get.

I picked this up in a music store on the shop floor, with no box or carrying strap or anything that it was supposed to have, because I once saw a friend use it and remember it being very good at being a practice amp, and only on that basis, so it must have made an impression on me. Looking back now of course, with an Epi Explorer and a Marshall under my belt, it's not as amazing as I once though, and obviously is roughly a 2/10 in relation to my Marshall DSL. But of course one simply cannot review it with those kinda amps involved, as this is a practice amp only and has been designed only for that purpose. So in relation to other practice amps, this is a very, very good buy and served me excellently for a good long while. If it were lost or stolen and I were still living in my beginner days I wouldn't hesitate to go out and buy another one straight away without considering the competition as this is a great little amp overall.

This thing is built fantastically. It feels solid when you pick it up and all the knobs and switches have never failed me. I'd fell fairly confident that if I dropped this from my bedroom window it would still work perfectly to be honest.

No idea what year the amp was made in as it didn't come with a box or stuff like that. This is a good versatile amp, with sounds ranging from good cleans to good distortion, but when you want to go half way inbetween and kick in a little overdrive it's not always great for that. It has 6 different models, and 1 vocals setting too. No effects loop, but it does have an auxillary input which I found really useful and a headphone jack too. I wish it had better delay as there are no settings for the delay, just the one knob controlling how much there is. But for bedroom practicing it's absolutely perfect, I honestly don't think I could find a better bedroom practicer. Unfortunately, it being only 2 watts and having a tiny speaker means that bass is virtually non-existent, but this was still okay for the 2 years of bedrom rocking I used it for as there is simply no need for heavy bass at this stage.