Micro Cube review by Roland

Roland: Micro Cube

Price paid: € 98

Purchased from: DLX Music (Finland)

My guitar is Epiphone Les Paul Standard and it's my only guitar at the moment. I play rock and metal and you can get those sounds from this amp. I think all the other amp models but the Acoustic modeler do sound good. Maybe I should turn down the tone because it's always full but I just don't like the Acoustic modeler. Clean sounds are good. I like using JC-clean with chorus and maybe some delay or reverb on it. My favorite distortion sound is R-Fier and it's pretty brutal. My tone is always full as I said and I don't like to turn it down. If your volume is full it can get noisy in your bedroom but you can't gig with it. When you turn up the volume it sounds much better. It sounds good but I'm looking for some non-modeling amp because they sound a lot better and I want more power and a bigger speaker (MC has a 5 inch speaker).

I've been playing for one year and I have a DigiTech RP355. I don't use the MC sounds any more because I get better sounds from the RP and I can change my sound faster. As I said I don't like the Acoustic modeler but I like other sounds. My favorite feature is that it's so small that you can take it anywhere you want. I've said this thing before but I'm gonna say it one more time: I wish it had footswitchable channels and a 3 band eq. If it were stolen I wouldn't buy it again because I would buy another better amp with more power. If you are looking for your first amp or a small amp that you can carry with you anywhere you want, then buy it but if not, buy some bigger non-modeling and more powerful amp.

I haven't had any problems with this amp. If I gigged with this amp (which I would never do) I would always use the ac adapter because I don't rely on batteries. I have never tried to run the MC with batteries so I don't know if they last long. If you can find a socket I would recommend you to use the ac-adapter.

Micro Cube is a solid state modeling amp. It's made in Japan but I don't know the year. You can run it with batteries or with an ac-adapter. It's got six amp models (Acoustic, JC-clean, Black Panel, Brit Combo, Classic Stack and R-Fier), six digital effects (Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tremolo, Delay and Reverb), headphone jack and line in. At the moment this is my only amp and I use it at home. I have played one gig with it in my mom's birthday. It's got 2 watts of power. It's enough for practicing at home and if you wanna just play a low volume gig. I wish it had 3 band eq and two footswitchable channels because it only has a tone control and when you wanna change your sound type from clean to overdrive you have to turn the amp model knob.

p o e
    sid-x wrote: i cant get over this brilliant amp ,i have a friend with a marshall a valve amp which sounds ****ing brilliant.No joke i put my micro cube next to it and my micro cube kicked its ass in sound , i couldnt believe it !
    No, it didn't. It if did, it was an MG.
    MaggaraMarine
    Headphonehead wrote: i don't like it too much. there are only 6 setting. the first 3 are only for blues and acoustic stuff and the britcombo func doesn't get you that punk sound i neither like the classic sound to much.
    I like it that it has "only" 6 settings because you don't need more. Maybe one or two more but if it had more than that some of the models would be useless. I think the two clean models are good, JC is better when you use bridge pickup and Black Panel is better when you use neck pickup. But the acoustic model sucks. It hisses so much that I never use it. The distortions are OK and I like how their sound changes (especially the classic stack's) when you turn the gain and tone down or up or change to your bridge or neck pickup. I think MC is great amp for the price. It could have 2 channels (one for clean, one for lead) and 3 band eq but that's all that it misses. Great practice amp.