Micro Cube review by Roland

• Reviewer's score: 3.8 Poor
Roland: Micro Cube

Purchased from: Andy Owings Music Center

Hamer USA strat copy, Hamer XT sunburst arch top P90. I play country, classic rock and blues. Overdrive channels are useless. Makes popping noise at any gain level other than zero or volume above 3 when you play a bass string. Clean channels sound ok at medium volume and gain. I have read a few reviews since I purchased it that others have the same popping noise, so it's not just this one. Unfortunately, the reviews that I read before purchase rated it highly.

Neat idea. Poorly executed. Don't waste your money on this one if you want anything other than clean sound at moderate volume. I plan to trash it as soon as I find something to replace it. I purchased it on an out of town trip, after reading a few good reviews online. Not worth the hassle of taking it back to the store, 200 miles away. Played it at moderate volume on clean channels in the store and hotel and thought it sounded fine. Once I got it home and cranked the overdrive channels, the warts appeared. If it were stolen, it would save me the trouble of hauling it off.

Pre-broken for your convenience. I hope Roland didn't intend for the overdrive channels to sound like a blown car stereo speaker. I have to assume that something went awry in manufacturing in China. Solid state amps with DSP modeling have so much promise for amateurs that don't want to invest in multiple amps. It's a shame that quality seems to be so low on the priority list. I'd gladly pay twice the price if it actually lived up to it's potential and would last 20 years.

2010 model. 2-watt Micro-Cube. AC/DC operation. Digital sound modeling of Acoustic guitar and classic amps. Has chorus, flanger, phaser and tremelo on one knob. Delay and reverb on another. Tone, volume and gain controls. Built in tuning fork (A=440) with flat and double flat switch. Purchased it because it has great features for a travel amp that can operate on battery power.