Micro Cube review by Roland

Roland: Micro Cube

Purchased from: School

I use an Ibanez RG120 with INF3 and INF4 stock pickups. I mainly play metal and the rectifier amp model sounds brilliant for this. The sound I get from this model is nice and crunchy. The tone knob helps a great deal with the sound - I can get a dark and bassy sound to a rich, trebly tone. I also use the JC Clean model sometimes and sound is crisp and clear. Same goes for the Acoustic setting, except it sounds more like an Acoustic guitar. It's more trebly and thinner. The only effect I use with this [reverb] sounds great. A lovely, warm tone tone is given from this. The Black Panel and Brit Combo models are one I rarely use. I only use it for funky stuff and blue. The Black Panel sounds sharp and crispy. The same applies to the Brit Combo, but has a bit more crunch. The Classic Stack is used occasionally by me for classic rock. I find that it sounds great because I think there is just enough distortion but doesn't go over the top while maintaining a classic rock vibe. This vibe is augmented when the reverb effect is used with it. There is no noise from this amp, unless you turn the volume very high up. The only thing I don't like is the lack of EQ knobs [one tone control is not enough]. One tone knob does not allow for precise EQ settings.

I play metal mainly, and this is definitely a good match. The rectifier satisfies my ears easily. I've been playing for over 4 years and I also own a Roland Cube 15X, which is quite similar. I use a Micro Cube at school because I cannot be bothered to bring a bigger 15X to school. My only wish is that this amp had bass, mid and treble controls, but my favourite feature is the rectifier, even without more EQ choices. If this amp was stolen, I would buy another Micro Cube if I can't steal it back.

For a practice amp, this amp is built like a tank and has never broken down. The wood is very sturdy, the very hard plastic has never broken and the metal speaker grille doesn't look like it will break anytime soon. I would use this Micro Cube at a small gig without backup. It is very durable.

This solid state, 2 watt practice amp with a 5 inch speaker has: - 7 COSM amp models - Acoustic, JC Clean, Black Panel, Brit Combo, Classic Stack, Rectifier and a Mic channel - 1 gain, 1 tone, 1 volume and 2 effects knobs - one for chorus, tremolo, flanger and phaser and another for delay and reverb - A seperate auxilliary input for an MP3 player [line in] and a recording line [output] - Digital tuning fork [A, Ab and Abb] - Can be used for 20 hours on batteries - An AC adpator, a carrying strap and an owners manual is included I use this amplifier at school, so I don't have to lug my Roland Cube 15X around. The size is great for this and the volume is loud enough for this. I never use the chorus/flanger/tremolo/phaser knob because I don't really like using effect. The only effect I do use occasionally is the reverb, which is on the delay/reverb knob. To make the features on this amp even more impressive, bass, mid and treble controls should have been added and the first chorus/flanger/tremolo/phaser.