Micro Cube review by Roland

Roland: Micro Cube

Price paid: € 100

Purchased from: Thomann.de

You can choose among 6 main sound settings, from Acoustic to "R-FIER", which is metal distortion. There is no lows-mids-highs equalizer, but only a single tone knob. There is also a gain knob and a volume knob. As I wrote before, there are 6 effects. This amplifier due to its variety of sounds and effects suits any common musical stile, from blues to metal. I am mainly a metal player, and my most used settings are Acoustic + some chorus for a good metal clean, and R-FIER + some delay for a nice distortion. The heaviest distortion is not very brutal, but it is good for metal anyways, unless you are looking for an extreme metal distortion. It isn't noisy at all: the sound of this amplifier, regardless of which settings you use, is always very bright, not muddy at all. It almost never produces any background noise, also on high volume.

I am very satisfied about this amplifier. I bought it because a friend of mine already had it and I was impressed by its reliability, small size and good sound. Also other people who watched us play were impressed the same, and even more when they knew that this all-able amplifier costs only around 100 . I have been playing for more than 2 years now, and I own already a cheap Ibanez GTA10 and a Peavey Vypyr 30W. When I am at home, I mostly use the Peavey but I often use the Roland too, which anyways I prefer when I go play around, being much more easier then the Vypyr 30W to carry around. I don't use anymore the Ibanez GTA10, which in comparison to the other two amplifiers has got crappy sound and less features. If it were stolen/lost, I'd probably buy it again, because I simply think that it is the best you can get for the price. The only thing I would like to see on this amplifier is a small phones output instead of the big one that it has got, which requires an adaptor for common headphones. Other than that, I really can't ask more for the price. Highly recommended!

This amplifier seems very sturdy, reliable and durable. It can be carried around easily and used almost anywhere. Me or a friend of mine use it also to play outside, like on the streets, parks or other open places.

This an incredibly RELIABLE amplifier. It is compact, sturdy, with a decent variety of sound and 2 effects knobs with a total of 6 effects: chorus, flanger, phaser, tremolo on one knob, and delay, reverb on the other one. This amplifier has got a double-powering system: it can be powered with the provided elecric cable, or, if you plug off the cable, with 6 AA batteries. This feature, in combination with the small size, high hardiness, good sound, and high volume for being just 2 watts, makes this amplifier ideal to be carried around and played almost everywhere, at home or outside (like parks or streets). It has got a recording/phones output and 2 aux inputs (one big and one small). You can use this amp as a microphone amplifier, by selecting the "MIC" setting. There is also a tuning fork function.

Good_Lord
    Pros of this amp : small , cheap and versatile Cons : don't expect to practice with a loud drummer with this , no EQ and horrible sounding R-Fier channel. Great amp for a beginner of a travalling musician. I have owned one for than a year , I do recommend it.
    duzit006
    TMAW wrote: People talking about gigging with it shoudl be aware tha you can mic this little beauty into a PA and you instantly have enough volume
    duzit006
    mcamp1230 wrote: this amp was on of the most sterile, cold, boring amps i ever heard, its a bunch of crappy Boss pedal models shoved into a amp with a transister power section...Wow why do so many people go nuts for 150 dollar amps with a bunch of features. what do you think gets sacrificed...Sound quality!!!!! Its a freaking beginner amp....
    im only going to assume your on a tube bandwagon riding your high horse..while hating solid state... heres a tip: with an open mind .. the little things seem that much better bud
    Reign77
    scalemaster wrote: it will play A440 for you, or switch the button and it will play A or even Abb (B). Abb (A flat flat) is not B. good guess though. Abb == G
    beat me to it.
    GidBass
    Shitty reviews all over the place... I had the bass version and it wasn't even capable of playing at a somewhat acceptable volume with an active bass. those tiny speakers just don't cut it.
    Soulgrind025
    sparkeyjames
    What the hey I'll give it a 10 out of 10 too and I don't even own one.
    duzit006 wrote: mcamp1230 wrote: I'm only going to assume your on a tube bandwagon riding your high horse..while hating solid state... heres a tip: with an open mind .. the little things seem that much better bud
    So umm what's wrong with a low wattage tube amp? They do sound far and away better than most if not all low power solid state amps. An open mind does not make up for an amp that sounds bad.
    MaggaraMarine
    MaggaraMarine
    MaggaraMarine wrote: Soulgrind025 wrote: Guys, this is JUST a practice amp. People who are saying they would gig with it, are just NUTS. Its lightweight, can be run on batteries, and sounds GREAT for a practice amp. Ive had one for a few years, and I love it. You can also put in a cd player or your iPod in the back, and play along with your favorite songs. And if you REALLY like the sound of it, you could even use the record out jack to a board or interface. And I DO believe it deserves a 9/10 rating for a practice amp. + 1 You must rate it compared to other products in the same price range. Micro Cube easily beats Line 6 Spiders (even the bigger ones). I have not used many amps but I like Micro Cube the way it is: a practice amp. My distortion setting is Classic Stack, no effects, a little reverb, tone full, volume at 9 o'clock, gain from half to full (it doesn't affect the tone that much). And clean setting I will get with the same model but I just turn the gain all the way down and maybe add some chorus.
    And the guitars I'm using are Charvel So Cal and Epiphone Les Paul.
    SSampuser68
    This is just a practice amp, but gets amazing reviews? I guess if it is the only amp you've ever played, you'll think it's great. This amp is a beginner's amp, thus it doesn't deserve 9/10 ratings.