Micro Cube review by Roland

Roland: Micro Cube

Purchased from: Pawn ShopSoli

Solid state, 2 watt amplifier that can be run by battery power, 6 AA batteries, or a power adapter. Basically, this is a mini version of the Cube series amps made by Roland, but this is a real amp, not some plastic junk like some manufacturers make. This amp is loaded with features. The following is with this amp: A tuning for for tuning, an acoustic simulator, a JC (jazz chorus) clean setting, a Blackface (read Fender) setting, Brit combo (read Vox), Classic Stack (read Marshall), Rectifier (read Boogie) and a mic setting. It also features Roland's COSM effects. For effects it has Delay, Chorus, Vibrato, flanger, phaser and reverb. A lot for any amp, but exceptional for a small practice amp. When it was made, it was made in China, not sure of the year, but had a strap, but this one has a large strap that obviously is after market. The amp features a 5 inch speaker, solid wood frame, with a tolex covering, line out, a headphone jack and a jack for an mp3 player.

First of all, for a general overall rating, this amp would be a solid 8 for a rating, but for a practice amp, this is a solid 10. The acoustic simulator setting has a good sound, it is "acoustic like" not dead on, but it is a setting that could be used and is not bad. The JC clean is spot on and amazing. What a bell like clean that just shimmers, and the Blackface is fenderish, but with a pleasing clean sound, definitely different than the jc clean, but a good clean sound with fender characteristics. The Brit Clean is my favorite, with the gain setting at 2 o'clock, I get a great CRUNCH that just rocks. It is voxish, but it also has it's own character that I find appealing. The Cloassic Stack has a great distortion which is cool for some classic rock styles, but the clean on this setting is surprisingly cool. The rectifier can definitely play metal, but I really don't use this channer or the mic setting. In simple laymans terms, It's almost impossible to not find a good to great tone out of this amp. Also, because the speaker is only 5 inches wide, it gets a great tone, but going full blast will effect the sound. THis is a great sounding practice amp that also has the plus of being portable because all you need are 6 AA batteries to power this little gem, and the batteries last about 15 to 20 hours which is not bad.

This little amp is built like a TANK. I got this used, and it still works without any static or any problems what so ever. It's a real amp, not a plastic attempt at a practice amp, so you can really rely on it. Now being the size is so small, it would not really be used for live playing, but the construction of this amp is rock solid, and it would easily take the rigors of live playing. The tolex covering and the corner protectors are tight, like the day it was built, and all the screws are flush and tight. I don't see any reliability problems with this amp, and Roland has a solid reputation and makes reliable equipment.

The rating on this is going to be high, because plain and simple, I love the sounds I get from this amp. The clean settings are amazing, and the distorted and overdriven sounds from the combo, stack and the rectifier settings not only give you variety, but each have their own character. I like classic rock and power pop, and this little amp fits the bill fine. I bought this so I could practice at home without annoying the rest of the family. My other two amps are a Four Force 5 watt practice amp and a Fender Performer 650 hybrid amp. I had a Roland Cube 15X once a few years ago and I liked the amp, but traded it for a guitar. This Micro Cube amp has really impressed me with it's quality and sound. I was going to buy a Vox Da5, but I liked this one better, and felt it sounded better and was constructed better and more solid. It this were lost or stolen I would definitely find another one, as it has impressed me this much. I am tempted to check out the Cube 80 amp. For any amp, the features of this amp are impressive, for a battery/power adapter powered practice amp, the features are obscene, well worth the investment for being able to practice whenever and wherever you want at home. Oh, and for 2 watts, this thing gets loud.