SM-25R review by Samick

• Reviewer's score: 3 Poor

I've used it with my first ever electric, which was a Squier Bullet Strat. The combo was horrific. I've used it with my Epiphone Les Paul Custom also, and the sound is, well, better, but not very different, as you can't get a lot of flexibility from it. I play lots of music, ranging from rock to metal, and lots of clean songs. This amp is useless unless I play clean, which was what influenced me to learn lots of cleaner songs when I first began. The distortion is next to nothing, and can only be heard when the volumes up half or more. After about half way, the amp buzzes like a maniac and you shouldn't even attempt it at full, I have before with distortion and you could barely even hear the guitar over the buzzing.

All I have to say is, well, don't get this amp. You can't expect a lot from a Samick in the first place, but, eh, you really can get much better for money. Don't attempt to use distortion pedals with it either; I have a Boss Distortion and a Zoom G2 pedal and this amp makes them sound like crap.

I would never use this without a backup, because I wouldn't use it for a gig in the first place. It's fine for a first and if you're not a rock/metal fan. Though, I must say, for being made in 1992, I have not had, nor has the previous owner, any problems at all with this amp. It's extremely sturdy and durable. You could chuck it through a window and it would be fine. Maybe.

The amp was made in Korea in 1992. And it's furry. Only one channel, has a headphone jack, two pedal jacks. It has overdrive, middle, bass, treble, and reverb knobs. I use this amp for home and for clean songs only, as it has a nice clean tone, but that's about all it's good for, and the clean sound can be easily matched by most other amps. I only use this amp because I got it free from my mate Who gave it to me when I first started guitar.

Joel.
    Shred, I can't believe you payed 185 for this piece of crap.