SM-25R Review

5,282
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this gear:
SM-25R Reviewed by: i_like_shred, on january 03, 2005

Purchased from: Pawn shop

Features: I don't know when this amp was made, but it looks like a while ago and sure as hell can take a beating. It is a single channel 25 watt solidstate amp with preamp volume, overdrive, master volume, bass, middle, treble, and reverb controls, with footswitches for overdrive and reverb, and headphone and line out jacks. 10" speaker. // 6

Sound: I use a customized Yamaha EG303 with 2 humbuckers, and it isnt very good. in fact its crap. But the amp makes it sound good. I put the bass and treble on 10 with the mids on 1, your typical scooped sound, but my guitar is very mid range heavy, so it sounds pretty good. On neck pickup, fast rhythms you can hear all the notes, and slow sludgy stuff kicks your ass with heavyness. With the bridge pickup fully distorted, I can get a very good "Raining Blood" style sound. Goes very loud for a 25 watt, I can play it and hear it over my drummer, which is saying something. (My drummer is a psycho). The clean sound on this amp is godly. // 8

Reliability & Durability: If the world was bombed with a nuclear missle this amp and the cockroaches would survive. I don't know how it takes such a beating. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal, and it's preety good for it, If it was stolen I would laugh my head off because it didn't come with a handle its pretty heavy to lug around without a handle! Then I would go and buy a triple rectifier. The clean sound is amazing, the overdrive is a bit to much like that gay kind you get with little 0 Watt practice amps, but a pedal on the clean channel shoud fix that. Good buy for 185. // 8

SM-25R Reviewed by: Joel., on december 18, 2007

Features: The amp was made in Korea in 1992. And it's furry. Only one channel, has a headphone jack, two pedal jacks. It has overdrive, middle, bass, treble, and reverb knobs. I use this amp for home and for clean songs only, as it has a nice clean tone, but that's about all it's good for, and the clean sound can be easily matched by most other amps. I only use this amp because I got it free from my mate Who gave it to me when I first started guitar. // 3

Sound: I've used it with my first ever electric, which was a Squier Bullet Strat. The combo was horrific. I've used it with my Epiphone Les Paul Custom also, and the sound is, well, better, but not very different, as you can't get a lot of flexibility from it. I play lots of music, ranging from rock to metal, and lots of clean songs. This amp is useless unless I play clean, which was what influenced me to learn lots of cleaner songs when I first began. The distortion is next to nothing, and can only be heard when the volumes up half or more. After about half way, the amp buzzes like a maniac and you shouldn't even attempt it at full, I have before with distortion and you could barely even hear the guitar over the buzzing. // 2

Reliability & Durability: I would never use this without a backup, because I wouldn't use it for a gig in the first place. It's fine for a first and if you're not a rock/metal fan. Though, I must say, for being made in 1992, I have not had, nor has the previous owner, any problems at all with this amp. It's extremely sturdy and durable. You could chuck it through a window and it would be fine. Maybe. // 5

Overall Impression: All I have to say is, well, don't get this amp. You can't expect a lot from a Samick in the first place, but, eh, you really can get much better for money. Don't attempt to use distortion pedals with it either; I have a Boss Distortion and a Zoom G2 pedal and this amp makes them sound like crap. // 2

Comments