Super 50 review by Silkyn

Silkyn: Super 50

Purchased from: eBay

This is an all tube, old school, guitar amplifier. With basic features like 6 AX7 preamp tubes and 2 6L6 power tubes, a spring loaded, tube reverb tank, and a 12 inch Eminence Legend speaker, and 50 watts into 16 ohms! (This sucker is LOUD!) It's set up with two 8 ohm outs that do not affect the 16 ohm out that leads to the combo's speaker. I run it through 4 twelves and also the combos speaker to get a much broader base of sound... but the speaker it comes with is plenty by itself. They were all made in 2008 (I believe). And the company fell to the economy's collapse. It was the brainstorm of a Gibson bigwig who wanted to offer a boutique amp at an affordable price by using Chinese labour and good American parts.

I play blues and heavy, old school rock. To get the sound I want I plug and play, but the settings are critical.It may be the reputedly lackluster tubes. I don't know about that yet, but I do know that if you crank the bass and mids to about 9 o'clock, and pump the gain all the way, leave the reverb all the way, it sounds great... I mean great. My last amp was a Mesa 22 similar sounds, although, of course, the Mesa was built better and had more features (efx loop, controlled line out, wheels etc) but the sound is there if you adjust the Silkyn!

In the four months I've owned it, not a problem. Feels solid and weighs a ton! (almost 60 lbs). LOUD and sounds better as it warms. We throw it in the back of the car and she plays everytime... I do take care of it, tho, so as far as standing up to abuse I really have no desire to find out. It has handles on both sides as opposed to a center handle and that is one great, albeit overlooked feature. Feels like a tank and hopefully will hold up like one. Good solid corners and plain tolex wrapped wood. A set of wheels would dp wonders for this old mans back, and that's good, it's built as solidly as a brick.

I play blues rock and heavy rock, punk and country. This amp does all I need with no effects. I use a chorus sometimes but basically plug and play. Very impressed. At $225-00 delivered it was the best amp deal I've ever come across. Played for over 40 years and owned many amps from an old tube Silvertone to Randalls chorus digital line, Peaveys and of course, the Mesa. Play many guitars - Fender Tele, Dean and a Washburn. Love the sound and would replace it if stolen, did my research and gambled a tad. Well worth it. Best couple hundred ever for an amp.

sicmidic
    Sorry I don't know what Legend is in it. I will inquire with some of the more technical guys. I know it was made in the USA. Almost all of us had to install it properly. Most of us replaced the stock tubes. My stock tubes tested poor, I ordered a complete set of tubes the day it was shipped. I have gigged with it most every weekend since November of 2015. I have been working in a large hotel hall. This this thing is a beast, it is as loud as my old Fender Black Face but I trust this a lot more than my old Fender, that did finally catch on fire.
    sicmidic
    Thank you for following this. I'm not a salesman for these people but when a good deal is about I like to pass good news on. As guitar players we all know what it's like to get beat up on prices. We all have a list of bad events.
    kevinpaul
    I was the first on My Les Paul forum to buy a Silkyn 50 watt amp. I wrote a new amp thread and it is up to 37 or 38 pages of people who bought one or three after I did. There is information on mods for these great amps. Will have 100% happy campers. At first we had to repair the speaker install, they were falling out. Now they are fixing them before they send them out. I have gigged with mine several times with great results. I did replace all the tubes as soon as I got it. I love this amp, the dirty channel kicks and the clean lets it take any and all pedals. This is a rock and roll amp.
    DeadEthyl
    read most of that..great post! Do you know which eminence legend speaker is stock in the silkyn? thanks, kevinpaul.