Super 50 Review

manufacturer: Silkyn date: 05/10/2016 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Silkyn: Super 50
This amp does all I need with no effects. Very impressed.
 9.4
 9.8
review (1) pictures (2) 4 comments vote for this gear:
Super 50 Reviewed by: DeadEthyl, on may 10, 2016

Purchased from: eBay

Features: This is an all tube, old school, guitar amplifier. With basic features like 6 AX7 preamp tubes and 2 6L6 power tubes, a spring loaded, tube reverb tank, and a 12 inch Eminence Legend speaker, and 50 watts into 16 ohms! (This sucker is LOUD!) It's set up with two 8 ohm outs that do not affect the 16 ohm out that leads to the combo's speaker. I run it through 4 twelves and also the combos speaker to get a much broader base of sound... but the speaker it comes with is plenty by itself. They were all made in 2008 (I believe). And the company fell to the economy's collapse. It was the brainstorm of a Gibson bigwig who wanted to offer a boutique amp at an affordable price by using Chinese labour and good American parts. // 9

Sound: I play blues and heavy, old school rock. To get the sound I want I plug and play, but the settings are critical.It may be the reputedly lackluster tubes. I don't know about that yet, but I do know that if you crank the bass and mids to about 9 o'clock, and pump the gain all the way, leave the reverb all the way, it sounds great... I mean great. My last amp was a Mesa 22 similar sounds, although, of course, the Mesa was built better and had more features (efx loop, controlled line out, wheels etc) but the sound is there if you adjust the Silkyn! // 10

Reliability & Durability: In the four months I've owned it, not a problem. Feels solid and weighs a ton! (almost 60 lbs). LOUD and sounds better as it warms. We throw it in the back of the car and she plays everytime... I do take care of it, tho, so as far as standing up to abuse I really have no desire to find out. It has handles on both sides as opposed to a center handle and that is one great, albeit overlooked feature. Feels like a tank and hopefully will hold up like one. Good solid corners and plain tolex wrapped wood. A set of wheels would dp wonders for this old mans back, and that's good, it's built as solidly as a brick. // 10

Overall Impression: I play blues rock and heavy rock, punk and country. This amp does all I need with no effects. I use a chorus sometimes but basically plug and play. Very impressed. At $225-00 delivered it was the best amp deal I've ever come across. Played for over 40 years and owned many amps from an old tube Silvertone to Randalls chorus digital line, Peaveys and of course, the Mesa. Play many guitars - Fender Tele, Dean and a Washburn. Love the sound and would replace it if stolen, did my research and gambled a tad. Well worth it. Best couple hundred ever for an amp. // 10

Comments