Smart IIIs review by Silvertone

Silvertone: Smart IIIs

Purchased from: Music Mega Mall

The overdrive on this amp is great for metal and or hard rock. I used to use a Fender squire but have upgraded to a ESP LTD M-207, I play a lot of Iron Maiden and it delivers great for such an (now) older, cheaper amp. There is a bit of feedback when it is turned to full but it pretty much is impossible to recognise otherwise. When you put up the treble and turn down the bass it sounds great for soloing. The clean channel is great and is excellent for a stock acoustic/JC clean sound.

This amp was great for the first year and a half but from then on it was getting a bit old, needless to say it is a great amp for beginners! The reason I haven't been bothered buying a new amp is because I have been in America for the past 6 months (still playing a lot of guitar) and the time I have been at home I haven't been able to decide on a new amp to buy. Overall this amp is great but I wouldn't recommend buying it as an upgrade to an older amp.

After 3 years of this amp I am getting quite sick of it but it has never failed me, I've taken it to about a dozen smaller gigs and it worked fine but with bigger gigs I had to use mates amps because it just isn't loud enough for a large crowd. Even so it has dealt quite a bit of damage (fallen out of moving car, fallen off numerous tables, thrown at the wall) and still works fine.

I've been playing guitar for 3 years now and have been using this amp since I started. It is 20 watts. Of course it is not a great amp for me anymore but as a beginner amp it really does the job. The guitar features 3 input jacks, one for guitar, one for headphones and one for CDs. This amp has only two equalization knobs (treble & bass) but they surprisingly make quite a difference when altered. The overdrive is fantastic for metal or hard rock (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest etc.) and the clean sound is great.