SLO100 Super Lead Overdrive review by Soldano

Soldano: SLO100 Super Lead Overdrive

I use a Gibson USA SG Special (Faded) with Gibson's 490 pickup in the neck position and a Seymour Duncan SH-5 that I have installed in the bridge possition. Like I said above I use this guitar with a Hi gain setting on the amp for mainly metal and hard rock, It suits these styles of music perfectiy. The only instance where this amp produces unwanted noise such as 'bad' feedback and static type noise is when the gain is set up in its highest settings, about 8 through to 10. To counter this noise I uses a Boss NS-2 to keep clarity in my notes but I would only uses these Hi gain settings for music such as Cannible Corps and Blood Bath. Although this amp only has a 3 band EQ for two channels it will certainally adapt for any tone with a little tweek on the diles, remember that this is a very loud amp and the clean will only start to crunh when it is set up to about 3 quarters volume. But then again with tones like that wou have to take into consideration thie individuals equipment. The distortion sound is immensely brutal, I can assure you! Distortion is what it was built for and quality distortion is what it delivers. Of course you would have to hear it to get the full experience but for example I can easily produce Slayer and Meshuggah type distortions once the overdrive channel gets past half way.

Overall this amp is just a work of ART. It fits my styles of music very well and is versatile enough to get me through any gig I could imagine. I truly don't have any negative comments. I feel that any player could find great tone using this amp wether they plug directly in or use a pedal board. If it were stolen or lost I would try to get a new one but considering they are about $9,000 retail price in Austraila that could be a bit hard. I hope you injoy this review, thanks for resding!

I will depend on this amp in any gig or situation my band puts me into. It is by far the most solid amp I have ever owned. It has not broken down on me in the time I have owned it or in the time of the previous owner. Pride in craftsmanship is a hallmark of Soldano Custom Amplification. Soldano flatly refuse to compromise quality. They obtain the best parts available and then spend the time to carefully assemble these parts by hand to create the highest quality and most reliable guitar amplifiers possible. The attention to detail is obsessive. They don't have an assembly line, nor do they subcontract subassemblies out to developing nations. Every amp is crafted at the work shop in Seattle, and each is wired, start to finish, by one technician.

Hello UG users. I thought that first of all I should point out that this is my first review of any musical equipment on any guitar web site so constructive criticism would be appreciated.I have been dedicated to playing guitar of all styles for about 8 years now so I do have a reliable amount of knowledge on the subject. I believe this amp was made in about 2007. The SLO-100 has two channels, the Overdrive Channel powers the classic Soldano sound heard on countless recordings and in live setups everywhere, the Normal Channel has a Gain Selector Switch allowing the user to choose between Clean and Crunch options. A Bright Switch adds highs to the Normal Channel selection. Each channel is equipped with independent Preamp Gain and Master Volume Controls. The SLO-100 also features three-band equalization (Bass, Middle, and Treble), Presence Control, and a channel switching Footswitch. The SLO-100 has a professional level (+4db) series effects loop and a slave output. This amplifier uses the finest Military Grade components and specially designed transformers. It comes with a transferable limited lifetime warranty. I play a wide variety of styles ranging from blues to classical to metal and all the way through to folk and pop. My primary style is metal (Opeth, Dream Theater, Mastodon, Pantera) and this amp, even though it was primarily built for metal and has so much gain my dead mother covers her ears to get relief fron the power. You could be in a Ting Tings cover band and this thing would still sound great. The one thing I would personally like to see on this amp would be seperate 3 band EQ for both channels but that is just in my personal taste. I like to have as much control of each tone setting as possible. This isnt a problem though because the tone settings availabe are very colourful and any decent player will be able to find an incredible tone.

TOMMYB22
    Aussie prices are horrendous. I'll likely never get my hands on something like this. I'd like to try it but i have never even seen a Soldano in Sydney, i've been to many guitar shops too.
    tristan_deity
    oxymorcide wrote: How much did you actually buy it for?
    I bought it from America for $3,600 Australian. It was a real bargain considering they sell for around $9000 retail price in Australia.
    Mario-Guitar
    jean_genie
    bassmansnm
    Awesome amp, the guitarist in our band uses one and its one of the best amps i have ever heard. On the road it takes a beating and never gives up
    AngryGoldfish
    Thanks for the good review. Not all Soldano amps are handmade in Seattle, though. I think my Hot Rod Avenger wasn't made by hand. And I heard that a number of their amps were made in another country for a small period of time.
    tristan_deity
    jean_genie wrote: Mario-Guitar wrote: I Have the same amp and it is kick ass, i don't see why you only gave it an 8 for reliability. i have mine since 2005 and it still kicks ass. and i still haven't even changed my tubes yet... for anyone who would like to buy this amp,,, DO IT!! I think he's trying to be a little more realistic than giving it all 10s. Though personally, I would have gone 7,9,9,10. As far as I'm concerned, it is THE tight-sounding metal amp.
    I really make my amps work hard, I gig a lot throughout the week. So I put 7,9,8,9 because thats just a realistic rating for me. It really bugs me when kids get there review in and they rate it 10! 10! 10! 10!
    THRASH-METAL
    which would be better for metal, this or an orange rockerverb. It will probably be a LOOOOONG time before i get either, but i was just wondering because they both seem like great amps. I also play lots of other stuff too, so which ones probably more versatile.
    ZaÐ
    5.8 user's rating,i guess this shows how users vote using the ass,instead of the ears/brain
    iamonlyahobo
    Dude, I want this SLO100 Ampifier Head. But it's "$$$$" Hahaha! My fav. guitarist uses this. Still trying to figure out what amps he uses. (I never seen him perform live) So I gotta check youtube videos, Man.
    surge666
    TOMMYB22 wrote: Aussie prices are horrendous.
    i didnt figure out the exchange rate but im sure once you convert it its nearly the same as anywhere else