Mark 6 SC20C review by Sound City

Sound City: Mark 6 SC20C

Purchased from: Patrick Reed Smith Music

The guitar I am using is a custom made Warmoth Strat with 3 EMG single coil pickups. Combined with this amp I can get Various different sounds. As I am only a begginer I am only doing simple stuff at the moment mainly the shadows so if your looking for a great clean channel for clear and bright tones this amp is perfect for that but as my guitar is quite bright I don't need to use much treble or middle but it would easily be capable of bringing a clear sound out of most guitars. I haven't done much on the overdrive channel but I have made sure it hasn't gone to waste so I learnt Europa and Parisienne Walkways just so I could use the dirty channel and it can keep up well you can get lots of cut even at low volumes or even those creamy Les Paul sounds out of a strat.

My overall impression of the amp is that it is great I don't think you will get an all valve amp with this many features and sound for a better price and with it's great clean and dirty chanel it will suit any type of guitar playing. If this amp were to get stolen I wold definatley get a new one as it is a great little amp. The best thing I think this amp has is the overdrive channel I may not be using it much but it's brilliant as if on low volume it works brilliant. I did compare with a Fender Super Champ and a Laney VC15 but there is no comparison also with the mix of a 10" speaker and a 12" sized cab it gives you that bigger fatter sound that everyone wants. The only thing that really brings it down is that it is only a practice amp and not a giging amp although it would be capable of doing a small pub but you can put it through a cab.

Can't say much on this one beacuse I don't gig and it's not even a month old sorry.

I bought this amp just as a practice amp. As I used to have a Vox escort 2.5 watt which itself is quite a good amp but I wanted something a bit better. The amp is by the newly reformed Soundcity Who were orginally part of Hiwatt. Now to the features. This 20 watt full valve amp using 2 EL84's and 3 12AX7's (no soild state at all) was made in 2007 and is a very versatile amp as it has a lovely smooth channel were you can get those blues tones that most strat player love. But also it has a great distortion channel with great punch and grit which any metal player would be happy with. You can even if you like put in through a bigger cab if it's not loud enough for you (even though you could probally play small pubs with it). It has all the controls that anybody needs really it has just the one input (no high and low input)clean channel volume, overdrive gain and level(volume), treble, middle, bass and reverb (spring). This is really one of the best all valve practice amps I have seen I serched for about 3 months looking a various amps like Fender Super Champ XD and Laney VC-15 and for the price it was so high quality and sounded so great.

tapwned
    once again sorry about the vote on the duralbilty but its made of very hard birch ply so you withstans alot of use and it weighs a tone for its size
    the_random_hero
    rednightmare
    Just bought the 40w version. It's so sweet. I'll do a review after I've got it home and annoyed my parents for a bit.
    RHCP_Nirvana_FF
    the_random_hero : Just out of curiosity, did you know it is part solid state - this thing doesn't use a tube rectifier, hence you can't really say that it's totally tube. Anyway, sounds like a nice amp. I'll have to see if I can find a dealer in Australia.
    Its still all tube a solid state recifier just makes the amp sound more modern. Blackheart amps have them. The Rectifier just affects the amp, if it sounds vintage it has a tube rectifier vintage and modern has a solid state rectifier. Oder amps tend to have tube rectifiers.
    narc86
    I'm thinking about buying one of those. Any clips that I can hear? I know they got the looks and all but I would like to hear them also
    narc86
    I live in Portugal and they're not avaliable in shops around here.