SP-10 review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 3.3 Poor
Squier: SP-10

The amp is pretty buzzy on any settings unless you have a noise gate. Don't push it past a volume of about 3-4 on clean or about 0.5 on OD and the buzz wil be minimal. Don't play this near a computer screen or in a room illuminated by fillament lightbulbs. It's 10W, 1x6.5" speaker so don't expect a lot of volume. The overdrive is very coarse and pretty tinny and is obviously aimed at beginners who want to get into metal and don't much about distortions and overdrives. The pack of channel specific controls makes both the clean and overdriven channels very monotonal.

Not enough features, bad sound quality, mine was unreliable. Not good enough really even for a beginner. Definately not for a more advanced player looking for a low wattage practice amp. I got this as part of a Squier starterpack from musicianshop.com. Their Squier pack now has a Fender Frontman 25R amp instead of the Squier SP-10, and I can see why. There is no reason to use this amp unless it just happens to be the amp you got with a guitar package like me.

Too small to gig with. I take good care of it (zero volume and guitar plugged in before turning on etc), I had only previously played at low volumes for fear of breaking it; but one day I was playing away and it just got really buzzy, much buzzier than the normal intollerable buzz that I was almost used to. This was when it was about 2 months old. I took it apart expecting to find blown capacitors or something, but I found nothing. It's a solid state amp so it shouldn't really have problems like this, especially not so early on.

Firstly, I'd like to point out that the SP-10 is the same model as the Squier 0 Watt" also reviewed here, so if you want to see more reviews you can go and look at the reviews for that one aswell. The SP-10 has 1 input; volume, treble and bass knobs; an clean/overdrive switch (not distortion as has been written, there's a difference) and a headphone jack. There is no middle control, no channel controls like OD gain etc. In short it is extremely lacking in functionality since it only has 3 knobs and a button.