SP-10 review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 1.5 Junky
Squier: SP-10

Purchased from: Allans Music - Pitt Street Sydney

I'm playing a 1980 something Squier Bullet with Texas Special pickups (the previous owner had modified it somewhat). As to my music style? I play chords and screw around, and think I'm better when I'm drunk. That's how I roll, baby. This thing is noisy in a bad way. This little sucker buzzes at anything past '3' and the Overdrive is woeful. I expected as much, and therefore I'm awarding a big fat one.

Hey it's a practice amp for the 'curious' guitarist. For $80.00 I'm not disappointed, but I will be going back to see Bobby and get a replacement for those niggling little things. Overall it gets a two. One for being able to turn on, the other for being able to turn off. Even if you have to pull the little plastic button out and bash it on the side every now and then.

The overdrive button popped out when I first clicked it in. Now I have to pull the button out and pop it back in each time I want to turn the overdrive on or off. The headphone jack input is dodgy and won't contact properly. For these reasons I'm taking this unit that I bought today back for a replacement and see if I get a better go with the next one. I'm giving it a two however because despite these obvious production line Q/A problems (hey, it's a Squier) the unit is really, really sturdy as there's no cavity in the back. This however can make storage a bit fiddly with the lead hanging out all the time.

Features? It's a practice amp (make that 'experimenting with the whole playing an instrument thing' amp) for the beginner guitarist on a budget. I am a beginner guitarist. I was 'given' an old Squier Bullet by a friend and he said I could have it until he needs it again, long story short I didn't have a practice amp. So I go into Allans and here is this little thing sitting on the far end of the shelf in their amp room, Bobby (Australian Idol fan? Seriously, check his hair) comes in and tells me it's their cheapest. Basically I was looking for a small amp that had input and output capabilities. I'm giving it a one because it fulfilled that requirement.

Anders88
    The overdrive on this amp sounds like one of those shitty cheap pianos u see in woolies if u stand far enough away