SP-10 review by Squier

Squier: SP-10

The speaker in this amp is what kills its sound. When I hooked it to those Kenwood cabs, it sounded infinitely better, both on clean and Drive. It was also loud enough for that 'gig' (outside at school during lunch break). Just goes to show that you can't judge a cheap amp on stock speakers alone. The cleans (with the stock speaker) are fairly good, and the Drive isn't bad (like I said, the speaker kills it). With the Kenwood cabs, it's a 10. This amp, like most Fender-designed amps, is well-suited to a large array of styles, from as low-gain as country up to alt-rock and some metal.

I'm pretty impressed with this amp's sound, especially when used with higher-quality speakers. It has some durability issues, but that can be prevented simply by re-locating the feet and being careful with the jacks. If your a beginner or a bedroom rocker, this amp is great for you. It's tiny, loud enuogh without being too loud, and with good speakers it rocks.

Here's another area of weakness. It tends to tip over due to the compacted placement of the feet on the bottom. If it falls on its face, chances are that the pots (PC mount) will break off. I've had to replace them 4 times (I don't even remember their original values). Also, the jacks are plastic with metal nuts, so they will easily strip the jack shaft. I had to repair the Input jack's connection to the board too, as it moved around ever-so-slightly for so long that it worked the solder joints loose. Other than that, however, it's built very solidly. I can (and have) stand on it and it won't even budge (I used it as a step-stool). The handle is solid as well.

Ok, I'm gonna set a few things straight. Prople are talking like this amp is meant for gigging, etc. It's NOT. It's just a practice amp, and that's what my review and ratings will be based on, not comparing it to a Mesa stack or Marshall stack. Ten watts and a 6" speaker make this amp a great practice amp. It's very simplistic: Input, Volume, and Treble and Bass EQ controls, a gain boost Switch, plus a headphone jack. It's main weakness is it's lack of a gain and mid pot, so it's either at clean or full overdrive (not distortion) and the mids are ever-so-slightly scooped. Also, it's a closed-back cab so it has good bass response. Another plus is that it's so small that it'll fit in a backpack (great for those of you that like to take your gear to school). At 10w, this amp has plenty of power for practicing. I've actually hooked the speaker output wires to 2 Kenwood speaker cabs and this thing suddenly rocked!

BUTCHY13
    I have this amp and find that when compared with the 100 watt Marshall Stack they're selling down the local shop, it doesn't really sound very good. Then I compared it with the 20.00 Marshall amp and found that it was really good, as i didn't have to make the guitar sounds myself. You can't even buy a Marshall logo for this price so grow up and compare it with it's competition and the wet dream you had last night!
    Maxpaynner
    I own an ibanez grg250dx and I have yet to buy an amplifier so, i borrow this one from a friend for band practice, i think it doesn't really sound THAT bad, but i think it's mainly because of the guitar.
    ttbird
    lol i hope your only joking this amp really is a shit as amps can get IT SUCKS AND I AGREE!!!!!
    roland_96
    i took mine apart and im gonna make it into a pedal. I like the O.D. on it, it sounds Stooges-like at times so i can run it through my Line-6. But over all, not a great amp, even for the cost. Good for like 30 bucks but thats about it.