SP-10 review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 3.8 Poor
Squier: SP-10

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

As mentioned this amp does not come with gain. So that means you basically have to play around with treble and bass to get a tone you like. But you won't get much variety with just those features. The overdrive of this amp is very unclear and garbled which sounds relatively terrible. But I gave it a 5 because of the "clean" sound I got. The clean settings were pretty good actually, very clear surprisingly. But it sounded very plain and simplistic which has no unique tone what'soever. I play alot of genres including rock, and I found the amp good for "other" genres. The amp basically falls behind in the more "rock" based stuff so if you're a rock guitarist, this amp obviously is not meant to suit you.I played the amp through the Squier Strat included and it sounded pretty good with the clean but distortion just sounded awful. Very garbled and unclear. Overall, this amp is mainly suited for clean guitar work and nothing involving distortion what'soever.

In conclusion, the amp is primarily a practice amp and nothing else pass practice. The lack of amp settings make it very hard to find a unique tone, and because of it's cheap quality it would not sustain heavy usage and gigs. If this amp however, included gain, it could have been much better than it is. But it doesn't have gain which means that it'll never be a better amp unless you use a pedal. If this amp was ever stolen or anything, I wouldn't really care. It was a plain and simplistic amp to begin with so I really have nothing to lose if it were ever stolen.

I never used this amp at a live concert and probably won't. The amp is basically a practice amp, therefore gigging with it won't get you anywhere. This amp is only good for home practice, or for school. One of the good things is that it's very durable and you can take it to school with ease. But that's the same with any other 15W amp though. But as mentioned, I would not depend on this amp or even use it, in fear of it breaking down, and because it doesn't sound good at all.

The amp was made in 2008 in China and it is a small amp with Squier on it, written in silver lining. The amp is basically a very simple amp and comes it came along with the Squier guitar pack. Here are the amp settings: Treble, Bass, Volume, Overdrive. Very basic stuff but unfortunately the amp does not come with gain therefore, it falls behind greatly in sound.

Jmozz60
    Believe it or not , I like this amp ! I bought it at a pawn shop for $ 18 . Was in mint condition too I'm a professional bass player for over 35 yrs ( I know it's WAY too small for bass , but....) I use the amp to rehearse & keep my fingers loose . It's portable enough so I can take it into hotels while traveling . I have a nice set of headphones with volume control , so Im basically powering my headset but it works out great !!! It's definitely a beginner's amp & I would suggest there are alot better amps to choose from , The amp isn't the best by far , but for the $ I paid it meets my needs !
    JustPhil
    "Price paid: $ 292.8" Is that Zimbabwean dollars? Anyway, I just got this amp given to me with a second hand Les Paul I bought, the over-drive is bad (tonal clarity goes out the window), cleans are okay and the sound will clip if you turn the volume up too high. But it's light, compact and with some pedals it's perfectly fine for bedroom use.
    I_CanHazGuitar?
    This amp can get a decent Led Zeppelin-ish sound, when you have it on overdrive with a guitar like an Epiphone G-400. For any other sound, this amp is horrible. After about 7 months, this amp is still in good condition, mostly because I leave it in a corner and just use my Pocket Rock-It S1 (which has much better distortion). A note for people who are actually thinking of buying this amp, DON'T. You will be much more satisfied if you save up your money and buy a more expensive amp with better sound and more features.