SP-10 review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Squier: SP-10

Price paid: £ 0.99

Purchased from: Ebay

I use this with a Epiphone Les Paul Special II with two humbucker pickups. I play mostly rock and alternative like: Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Foo Fighters and RHCP. The clean channel is relatively good but does get distorted at high volumes. For me the overdrive channel was too distorted, however reading other peoples reviews they thought it wasn't distorted enough. A good tip is to turn the volume down on your guitar and turn the volume up on the amp and gradually turn up the guitar's volume until you get the desired overdrive, this will hopefully compensate for the lack of a gain control.

This is a great starter amp for beginners, and as an experienced guitar player I would've loved to have this as a beginner. I cannot really say if I would get it again as it was an impulse buy for 99p. The amp does lack a gain feature, but for beginners it is not essential to have a gain switch.

I would definitely say this is reliable, the previous owner who I had bought it from had it for quite a while and the amp did have quite a few knocks, and it even survived postage without any protection! I've had this for a month now and so far it has been working perfectly, after all, it is Fender quality.

This amp is one of the most simple amps I have ever seen; it features some volume, treble and bass controls. You also get an overdrive channel and a headphone socket. The amp is 10 Watts but does go quite loud for such a compact amp. The amp I think is the standard amp that comes with Fender Squiers, so I shouldn't be expecting much.