SP-10 review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 3.5 Poor
Squier: SP-10

Price paid: € 50

Purchased from: Euromúsica

This Chinese-built amp comes included in a Squier starter pack with an equally Chinese-built Stratocaster and a bunch of stuff you expect from a pack of this kind.

The amp itself is unpleasantly simple, and the lack of features is obvious. You get the usual clean channel (which isn't that bad) and the dirty channel that I'll talk in detail in the "Sound" field. The equaliser only offers bass and treble control (which the latter seems to control some degree of the gain, since it'll cut off the sound by turning all the way down).

This lack of features still allows to learn how to play, but you'll feel like it's being a bottleneck for your learning in no time.

This amp won't alow you to replicate any musician's sound, and the previously mentioned lack of features won't give the SP-10 it's own sound, resulting in a bland and generic tone. You'll perfectly be able to practice and learn with it, but without the most pleasant sound - and don't expect recording great covers or tracks with it, either.

The clean channel is acceptable and the notes can be heard clearly, but the dirty channel isn't good at all. It's really noisy and since you have no gain control (besides the already mentioned treble knob quirk), hum is a real issue (mainly with the guitar included on the original pack that only has single coil pickups). Playing chords trough the dirty channel is unbearable, as the notes mix with each other making a very unpleasant noise.

Although I haven't went easy with my complaints regarding the dirty channel, I find it usable for punk rock because the tone seems to fit acceptably the genre and it's not terrible when it comes to power chords.

Finally, it's worth to mention this amp is a lot louder than you'd think, considering its only 10 watts and had a 6" speaker. However, making a lot of noise out of a small amp doesn't mean it sounds great.

I've owned this amp for almost 5 years until I sold it, and the buyer got it in the same condition as when it came out of the box.

This being said, my own unit didn't had any trouble, but I always took good care of it and almost never played it very Loud of for more than an hour straight. I've lost the count of the amount of people (mostly experienced guitar players) that complained it broke or was noisy, and it is a very cheap-feeling Chinese amp indeed. I wouldn't expect them to live very long, and I believe mine would sooner or later break as well if I kept it for longer.

This was my very first amp that stayed with me as I learned to play the guitar. While it was good for some time, after a couple years it felt like it wasn't enough. I used it less and less and I improved because I ended up preferring to play unplugged because its noise always made it seem like I was playing bad (and wasn't very pleasant to my family either).

I sold it not because I needed the money but because after buying a new one I didn't had need for it anymore - I wouldn't even consider buying another one if it had been stolen.

The only great aspect of this amp is the fact it's so small and light you can easily carry it on a regular backpack, but still there are plenty of better amps as portable as the SP-10.

This amp is meant for new players, but any newcomer would enjoy a lot more a better amp. Considering its value, you can get for around the same price something with better sound, more features and superior quality, either new or used. I'd recommend a Roland Microcube or Cube 15, or the Fender Frontman 15 (which costs a little bit more but is far superior).