Guitar Mate review by Traynor

Traynor: Guitar Mate

Purchased from: Long And McQuade

I'm using this amp with an Ibanez GAX 30 and a Boss DS-1. As you can tell, I'm a beginner. The guitar and amp seem to really compliment eachother, and when I bought the DS-1, it just made everything sound better. As I said, I would have liked Gain control on the amp, and the DS-1 provided that. The amp has a very good sound for a 75 dollar practice amp. I played it against a Fender Frontman and a Brand X, and it definately shone above both of them. The clean is excellent, and so is the distortion. I got a pretty good SOAD sound just from messing with the EQ and using the amp overdrive. However, as I got better, I saw the need for more control of the distortion and bought the DS-1.

Again, a very good beginner amp. This cant compare to a Roland Cube, a Vox Valvetronix or for that matter any amp other than a 15 watt practice amp. However, for 75.00, there is nothing better. If it were lost/stolen, I would most likely upgrade to a Vox or Roland cube, maybe even a Crate, if I had the money to do so. However, if I only had 75.00, this would be the amp I would get.

This amp is very reliable. It didn't come with a back plate, I dunno if that is normal or not, so my only concern would be moisture getting into the electronics or speaker via the open back.

Newest model of the amp, I assume 2005. Solid state, three band EQ, volume control, Two channels (clean and a very dirty overdrive, more distortion), headphone output. I really like the amp, excellent value. My only request would be the addition of a gain knob for the overdrive, as the comparable Fender Frontman 15G has, but I would still pick the Traynor over the Frontman any day. I use this for practice in my basement/room, and it works perfectly.