Guitar Mate review by Traynor

• Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
Traynor: Guitar Mate

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

I play lots of acdc and zeppelin, and it doesn't really work. Led Zep and AC/DC don't have total distortion, and yet I can't change the amount of distortion. It also sounds really poor when I use treble pickup. Basically, you have a few choices of what to play: blues, country, soft rock, or death metal. however, when you use these styles, the sound is awesome.

This is not a good match for you people Who like Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Aerosmith, and other old rock bands. It is good if you play hardcore stuff. The good thing is I have a DigiTech RP50, which makes it sound better for classic rock. The basic reason I chose this amp is because it was cheap, it didn't play too loud, it had a headphone jack, and I was also buying the DigiTech RP50. My reccomendation is too get something else.

I am in a band program, and we actually get to record. When I heard we had to use our own amps to record, I nearly died. In the song we are recording, I play soft distortion, about a quarter of the way on a gain knob. My amp will make it sound really bad. this amp did actually break down once in November 2005. I was playing at just below volume 3 and it stopped. It wouldn't play anything. I tried the distortion channel, and all it did was shriek. Luckily I was able to trade it in.

This is my first amp, purchased in 2005. This amp doesn't have enough options and isn't quite versatile enough. It has only 2 channels, clean and death-metal distortion. It does have a headphone jack. I wish it had a gain knob, because it doesn't work if you are playing softer rock.

aig91
    This was my first amp. Not really a good quality amp, but it is very durable and good for beginners.
    mondaymonkey
    I paid something like 72 95.... not too bad, wish i had an extra 100 bucks for a new Fender frontman but w/e christmas is comin soon